Rust

jeepmaster

I've recently noticed a couple of rust spots starting to form on my XJ. I'm not looking to do any serious body work but I would like to keep the rust from spreading or getting worse. My dad had an old commuter Honda for awhile that had rust and he got some paint/paste sort of stuff that you apply to the rust and it neutralizes/stops the rust. The damaged metal or bubbles are still there but it effectively seals the metal so further damage is slowed down or doesn't occur. Are any of you guys familiar with this? Do you have any suggestions for stopping it? Once again I'm not looking to cut the rust out or do any Bondo'ing or other body work, I'm just looking for something to keep it from spreading that I can then paint over more or less solving my problem.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. And I know it's a Jeep, but other than these 3 spots my paint is solid and the Jeep looks pretty decent. I'm not hung up on it's visual appeal but I am concerned about the damage rust can do. Plus the smallest spot is right in front of the driver's side door handle and I envision it rusting out and me ripping the door handle off the side of the jeep....

Naval jelly and some other products out there claim to "convert" the rust into primer. They don't, but some of them do slow the rust down a little bit, or so I've heard.

Obviously the only way to stop the rust from spreading at all is to grind or cut it out...but sounds like you already know that.

If it's on the door I'ld toss the door & get another one. If it's on an unattachable part of the tub, I would practice my skills at cutting and welding . . . it's about the only way I know of. If it's below the door jams I would cut/weld then use roll on bed liner to recoat it. :rolleyes:

I've done cutting/grinding on a past vehicle, but I just don't have the resources up here to really get into a project like that right now. I'll do some Google'ing and see if I can't find some reviews on some of those products and find one that will work even a little bit.

What color is the jeep? Mine is white and I had one rust spot on the front from the body lift that I just sanded down, primered, and spraypainted with rust preventive paint and you can only tell if you're right up on it. One of my friends has a completely spraypainted white door that I would never have known was spray paint if he hadn't told me. Other colors would be harder to match though.

Duplicolor matches almost every vehicle.i just did some body work on my red TJ and it is hard to tell where it is unless you are right on top of it.

Back