Rusty Water Dripping on PassengerFloorboard

jaythebaron

Hi, I was driving my 94 YJ 6 cylinder the other day when I noticed that rusty water was dripping somewhere out the firewall on to the passenger floorboard. I also noticed that the temperature has been running slightly higher than normal.

Would it safe to say there is a good chance my heater core has gone out? Any other ideas? Thanks in advance!

Heater hose or hose clamp loose, or heater core.
First check the hoses, and clamps.
Hope or something simple.
Good luck

See if your cowl isn't full of water. The air intake in the cowl area leaks and the cowl drain gets clogged.

This could also be your windshield gasket bottom or top.

Trace the drips back.

Jeeps are notorious for dripping water from the dash . If you washed it or it had rained recently good chance that is what it is from, the heater core is under the passenger side of the dash, see if the housing holding the core is wet, do you smell antifreeze when it leaks. As said above, windshield gasket will let water in, as will the cowl vent in front of the windshield.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am aware of the windshield gasket and cowl leaks. I keep the cowl cleaned on a regular basis. I must admit that I need to flush my radiator since I opened it the other day to find that "rusty water".

I haven't had a chance to crack her open to look inside the heater core housing yet but will let you guys know what I find when I do. Thanks again for the comments.

If the water in the radiator is a rust color as well, then I would look deeper into the heater core. You probably don't need to open the housing up to tell though, you should be able to see wetness on the bottom of the housing if the core is leaking, also could be the heater hose going to the heater core is not tight and leaking into the core housing.

The only other is the AC drain. If clogged it will leak inside.

Did your heater work? You might flush the system and flush the heater core directly.

Back