Screw the NHL!!!!!

RE: New Member At Jeepz :)

mingez said:
Ya, I think that goes without saying. But blatant disreguard for proper market research is one shining example representative of all of the ills the league suffers.

Agreed. Also, along with better market research, one of many areas they should also work on is in bridging the huge gap between hockey and the average American. One of the points in the letter is that the cycle starts with high school athletics. For example, in the 2003-04 school season...

* More American high schools had competitive volleyball and even competitive bowling than those that had hockey.

* Only 19 states have high schools with hockey programs versus all 50 states (plus D.C.) for football and basketball and 47 states (plus D.C.) for baseball.

* Over 1 million students participated in football, more than 500,000 students participated in basketball, more than 450,000 participated in baseball, while only 36,000 students participated in hockey.

It's no coincidence that sport popularity at the high school level is replicated at the college level and then at the pro-level via viewership, money, and general support of fans (many of whom used to participate in or at least watch games in high school and/or college).

Some of this may be common sense, but I don't think the NHL and common sense share the same universe too often. Just my 2 cents worth...

Oh, wait a minute, this is a Jeep site. :D

Adventures in the Gadget Cave

Yeah this is a Jeep site, but I believe the title of this post says: "Screw the NHL!" LOL :lol:

Good points. The gap between the "Average American" and Hockey needs to also be bridged at the fan level. I applauded their efforts during the age of the "Glowing Puck". Purists thought it was hokey, but I think it brought interest to those who didn't normally watch.
Most people's objection to the sport is that it doesn't film well and it's hard to watch the puck. Puck goes behind the the wall can't see it. I didn't like the red line that appeared when the puck reached high velocity, but I didn't mind the white/light blue glow.

Also, lack of scoring is a huge issue for most Americans. Same reason that Soccer isn't popular. Too much midfield activity, and not enough goals.

Lastly, and perhaps most important, is the abundance of the Mullet. Let it go Canada...let it go. (just kiddin' Ants and Craig)
image-missing.png

RE: New Member At Jeepz :)

Ritt said:
I'm still not going to run down to MSG to watch NHL hockey. I go over to the next town for $15. and watch hungry hockey. Fun to watch. Getzky's brother is on the Danbury Trasher's team also.

Tickets at MSG are a joke. We paid $40 and we were looking down at the top of the scoreboard. I am stilling to my AHL and the $8 tickets for a while.

RE: got 4" lift, now need tires & pwr strng ?s answ

judge09 said:
RIP NHL.... :evil:

Yeah, they all finally agreed to tie player's salaries to revenues..................revenues = 0, player's salaries = 0. Sounds like a hockey score, doesn't it (if I remember right?) Like the title says, "Screw the NHL!"

okies 1st of all the mullet is HOCKEY related not canada related
but i will let you belive that since use canadians do love our hockey
but i personally dont know anyone with a mullet, there were more when i was younger - mainly my dads friends but i dont know anyone with one now. It was also a big thing for some hockey players at our school to do mainly for attention, we all got a big kick outta it (they would only have it for a week when they all went from long hair to short.. and YES i must admit my brother had a mullet when he was a throu-out elementry school but it was a short one (always above the shoulders)

so go on and poke your fun
just dont poke me cause it tickles :red: tee hee hee

i'll see if i can find a pic of my mullet haired bro for ya eh

i miss hockey - its a social event that turned into an empty void

'89 YJ...just rebuilt carb...

come on now mingez, its only a mullet if you dont play hockey, cause if you do, its known as hockey hair and its sweet. i used to have sick hockey hair when i was younger. the wings that curl up from your hat, nothing better than hockey hair. actually, my friend and i are going to vegas in june, and we've decided that we're not cutting our hair before the trip, and the last time i got a haircut anyways was in Dec. so i'm going to have some awesome hockey hair again.

RE:

Hahahaha, I was just trying to get a rise. LOL

Ants and Bchcky, I'm just kidding, as I said in the post with the pic in it.

I don't know but there are plenty of Mullets still in the States. Particularly in the South and Texas. Other areas of high concentration: Lakewood Colorado, Rochester New York, Fresno CA, El Paso, and pretty much all over New Jersey in the small towns.

Regardless of geography, there is no excuse for a mullet...hockey or no hockey. Sully said he was going to get one. Can't wait to see that pic.

One sport in this world that I actually got into. One sport that would be both fun to play, watch on TV, and see live, and not just in the playoff season. One sport where you can see the best team playing, and the most brutal ass-kicking in a 5 minute span.

AND THEY WENT AND SCREWED IT ALL UP (they is a neutral term, I'm not taking sides here)

bchcky said:
come on now mingez, its only a mullet if you dont play hockey, cause if you do, its known as hockey hair and its sweet. i used to have sick hockey hair when i was younger. the wings that curl up from your hat, nothing better than hockey hair. actually, my friend and i are going to vegas in june, and we've decided that we're not cutting our hair before the trip, and the last time i got a haircut anyways was in Dec. so i'm going to have some awesome hockey hair again.

the wings that curl up?? thats not the mullet :p a mullet is when the front hair is short in the front and the back is super long (like having bangs start in the middle of your head).. your just talking about having the shag or the mop oh and by the way those wings that curl up from the hat is sooooo super cute ;) (personal opinion anyways)

Well, that being the case, consider me sooooo super cute, because I haven't gotten around to getting a haircut in a couple months, and my normally straight and very thick hair curls up under the hat at work... I HATE it.

To sum up my feelings......it's a bunch of millionaires negotiating with a bunch of billionaires as to how they will split up the money they suck from US.......................and Sparky would take a job right now that paid $6.50/hr.?!?!??!?!?!? Screw the NHL, the NBA, the NFL, MLB, PGA, etc...etc...etc... Think I'll watch curling with Saurian.

Looking for Mopar Light Bar covers

really?! screw all those sports huh? nobody forces you to pay to go see them. athletes are all over paid. and hopefully there will be a market correction in the future. and its hard to compare your own life to that of a professional athlete. pampered brats? sure, but i would be too if i were a professional hockey player. i understand your point, that its hard to listen to someone whine about millions, but you're comparing apples to oranges. professional sports create a LOT of jobs though.

i just dont see how you can throw all the sports into the same category. the NFL does it right, they still make a lot, but its regulated. am i mad that hockey is cancelled over a labor dispute? hell yeah, but will i watch it if the league ever comes back? for sure. money and greed won't make me stop watching, had baseball not done anything about steroids however...

mingez and ants, there's a difference, though the hairstyles are similar, mullets make you look (fill in your favorite word here), while hockey hair just flows.

and mingez, as we've had a testament to from ants, its hot.

speaking of hockey, i played tonight and managed to 1. get a stick across my jaw, awesome, 2. take a shot off the inside of the wrist, looks like a plum growing on my arm now, and 3. got my hand squished against the boards to give me a blood blister under the nail. i love it. my mouth bled a bit from the inside, i only wish my teeth had gone through my lip completely so i could get stitches, chicks dig scars. could you imagine, teeth went through your lip, and you've got hockey hair to boot.

mingez said:
Hahahaha, I was just trying to get a rise. LOL

Ants and Bchcky, I'm just kidding, as I said in the post with the pic in it.

I don't know but there are plenty of Mullets still in the States. Particularly in the South and Texas. Other areas of high concentration: Lakewood Colorado, Rochester New York, Fresno CA, El Paso, and pretty much all over New Jersey in the small towns.

Regardless of geography, there is no excuse for a mullet...hockey or no hockey. Sully said he was going to get one. Can't wait to see that pic.

Rochester, NY? Sorry big guy :lol: , I dont know where you are hanging out but the ROC definitely does NOT rock mullets. I spent my first 20 years there and a mullet definitely would have gotten you laughed at big time.

Rat tails....well thats a different sad story. Some people just cant drop those things.

mud4feet said:
To sum up my feelings......it's a bunch of millionaires negotiating with a bunch of billionaires as to how they will split up the money they suck from US.......................and Sparky would take a job right now that paid $6.50/hr.?!?!??!?!?!? Screw the NHL, the NBA, the NFL, MLB, PGA, etc...etc...etc... Think I'll watch curling with Saurian.

Dont forget the PBA....the top prize for the bowlers is getting silly :lol:

RE: Gauges

judge09 said:
mud4feet said:

Dont forget the PBA....the top prize for the bowlers is getting silly :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: HAHAHA!!!! Yeah, I forgot them and a few others - WNBA, MISL, and those greedy professional darters!........I miss hockey :(

Back