shorted out my jeep!! HELP!

hoobness

So I just returned from being towed home after an electrical malfunction.

Working on the carb, had the choke 12volt disconn, and forgot to plug it back in...

later....
driving it around the block EVERYTHING dies... open the hood and I find that choke wire soldered solid to a screw on the carb. i yanked it off, plugged it in and still nothing. No power when the ignition switch is on.
My headlights, brake lights and basically anything NOT going through the ignition circuit still works. but nothing else.

Im thinking I blew a fusable link somewhere.. but where are they at?

87 YJ 258

thanks all!

Did you check the fuse box under the hood? The one in my 93 YJ is located next to the battery.

The fusable link (if there is one) is in the wire itself. The entire wire will need to be replaced anyways, so just get a new one.

Then check all your other fuses AND all you grounds!

RE: Sig question

id you check the fuse box under the hood? The one in my 93 YJ is located next to the battery.

....Mine is an 87, there is no engine fuse box, its pretty primitive...

The fusable link (if there is one) is in the wire itself. The entire wire will need to be replaced anyways, so just get a new one.

Then check all your other fuses AND all you grounds!

....man, the Haynes manual has a pic of the fuse links, and describes how to fix 'em, but it doesnt say where they are. It does not describe them as just the wire itself. Besides how do I know where to look? Do I really need to just hunt down all 6 gazillion wires under the dash AND Hood for the melted culprit, if thats indeed what Im looking for?

Great! - This is going to suck!
I hope someone has an easier remedy!

thanks again

MAN! Working on it this weekend.... I have never hated working on anything on my Jeep, but I have to say electrical work sucks. So there I was fixing the fusible link, down where the starter relay/solinoid is below the batt. There are several fusible links down there by the way in case anyone is ever looking for any... I found the blown one, stripped the wires and just as a check before I fully dove in and soldered, I twisted the burnt out wires back together, and started it up- remember i think they shorted bcuz left the choke wire dangling over the intake and foolishly drove it around -SMOKE!! The whole split loom harness below the passenger windshield wiper was like a smoke bomb. Now the wires are like a gob of plastic goo and copper. THis is going to be fun :(

BTW: The day this happend I had just installed an Accell 42000 volt coil (p/n 148000 i think) in place of the stock Ford TFI coil I was running for over a year....

Could that be a variable in this mess?

RE: Re: RE: Re: ROBBED!

Eeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel your pain, brother!!! Nothing I hate more than electrical problems.......

RE: Vinyl sticker cutter or plotter

If u havent solved the problem give me a little more info i may be able to help

BOB

Back