Squeak is driving me nuts

birkie48

I have a 98 wrangler rag top with full steel doors. There is a molded plastic piece that runs from the roll bar to the top rail of the rear quarter panel just behind the door. It holds the vertical flange for the leading edge of the rear window. Problem is it is loose at the bottom, and squeaks loudly. Very loudly! There doesn't seem to be any way to tighten it down with fasteners. I’ve tried shimming it and adding silicone sealant to keep it from moving, but nothing seems to help. The noise is louder than my radio, is right next to my left ear, and is driving me nuts. Does anyone have any ideas how to tightly seat this piece to stop the noise? I am just about ready to go to a dealership and pay shop rates to get it fixed. [addsig]

are you referring to the door frame? The part wraps around the top edge of the door that can fold in 1/2 if taken off?

There should be a 1/2" thick peice of rubber on the bottom, if that's not there you can try and make something like that to replace it.[addsig]

No, this is one solid piece and yes it does frame the door. It attaches to the roll cage with a threaded knob, the bottom looks like it is held in place with a pin on the bottom of the rail.

I will look for the rubber piece, thanks for the info[addsig]

Most people lose those rubber corners. That's why I epoxied mine on the first time I took off the "door surround"[addsig]

wow, I've never seen them as one solid peice.. If it's missing just find a 1/4" thick peice of ruber, cut a 1" square and poke a hole in the middle
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back