starter

hulken

i swaped my 87 4.2 liter for a 89 and found out they use different starters. the 87 has one wire that runs from the sylenoid to the starter the 89 requires two power sources one to turn the gear the other to engage it.I bought an extra starter cable and attached both to the sylenoid and to the starter, it only spun i then removed one of them and touched it to the battery terminal. the engine turned over and started but it will not stop engaging until removed from the terminal. how can i wire this thing in. any suggestions.

The second starter has the solenoid built into it. You either need to jump out the one on the starter or get rid of the one on the firewall.

Basically the one in the starter is just like the one on the firewall. You jump it out by putting a piece of metal between the two wire attachment points.

We used to do it all the time on Chevy engines because the headers almost touched the starter and would heat up the solenoid and it wouldn't work. So we would get a Ford fender mount solenoid and jump out the starter mounted one.

If you want to use the solenoid on the starter you need to take the wire from the small bolt on the front of your fender mounted solenoid that has power when the key is engaged and extend it to the smaller bolt on the starter. You would also need a thick power wire from the battery directly to the large bolt of the starter.

Good luck

Last edited:
Back