Starting problems... again

JeredYJ

I'm again having problems starting in the morning. ('91 4.0L) It has been fine till it began raining a lot here. If it's been running it will start back up, but over night it seems to not want to start in the morning. It turns over and seems to have battery power, but "coughs" a little and starts up. Sometimes if it wont start I will let it sit till about mid-day and then it will start. Any ideas? I don't really know where to start? Thanks. jered

Also, I'm not sure if this is related at all, but now whenever I hit a speed bump or any bump for that matter the engine rpms shoot up for about 8 seconds then drop back down to idle speed. Twice it has stalled when hitting bumps in the road. ??? jered

The starting in the morning sounds like you may be getting some moisture in either your wires or distributor cap... My mom's 89 Dodge Caravan did the same thing, in humid or wet weather, it just did not want to start... Once it got warm during the day, it was great... It usually took 3 cans of ether down the carb and in the cap to get it going...

Making progress with the diagnosis. I found that there is a wire running from the side of the distributer, clips on to the motor mount and has a connector that connects it to a big covered group of wires running up behind the engine. When I move the part where the wires run from the group of wires into the connector toward the distributer the motor rpms jump (seems to be shorting or something) Let me know if anyone knows what this does/is and if it's possible just to replace that clip or something. thanks. jered

I found the wire that is causing the problem, but do not know where to get a replacement, can I just cut/solder/replace this whole connection. The problem is when there is any tension on the white wire coming from the connector it stalls or stutters. What do you all think?
Im gonna try to post an image of the connector:

imageaspid_8371521sessionkey-3.jpg

Thanks. jered

[/img]

Also, is there just a quick way to disassemble the female end of this connector to re-solder? (the end on the left)

Back