Starting problems

mujaman

My 97 XJ has some starting issues... it turns over fine (with a little drag at the beginning) but doesn't want to actually start right away and I usually have to give it some gas. It then stumbles for about 5-6 seconds (I have to continue to give it gas to keep it from stalling), but then starts running perfectly normal and has no issues until I try to start it again.

Any suggestions are helpful!!!

I was thinking possibly fuel filter/pump. Maybe a weak battery as well...

Sounds like the battery to me. Mine would hardly idle for the first 5 minutes also.

1990 jeep cherokee, in-line 6

i'm assuming this is an on going condition.
if so, it's not the battery.
also giving gas to a fuel injected engine "messes" with the computers attempt/programming to start the engine.
from day one my jeep took 20 seconds to start.
couldn't figure out why.
what worked for me was to replace the in-tank fuel pump, for reasons totally unrelated to this condition.
one of the side effects was now it takes 5 seconds to start.
changing the filter is not a bad idea either.
watch out for changing the pump though.
i have changed mine twice and still get that wrrrrrring noise.
it might also be the fuel pump by-pass regulator opening and not allowing the proper fuel pressure in the ruel rail.
didn't mean to muddy the waters.
best of luck.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Just to clarify, this is actually NOT an ongoing problem. It has developed in just the last week or so.

Again, it turns over fine and may even start without pumping the pedal, but if I don't give it gas for the first 5-10 SECONDS after starting it will die.

I am not getting any error codes from the OBD-II system yet either... at least not what I can view on the digital odometer.

More suggestions are welcome!

I still think it's the battery or the battery connection.

But what do I know?? :rolleyes:

I have a 1997 jeep wrangler 2.5l that is giving me a starting issue, sometimes when i go out and start it first time of the day it will start right up no hesitation but if i drive it or even just shut it off and try to start it again it gives hesitation to start and bobbles the idle around and then the rpms reach to normal and it seems fine but sometimes even it doesn't want to start. I did a full tuneup with a distributor switch plate, new iac sensor and it and it didn't fix the problem. if anyone can please help i would appreciate it

Back