Steering Problems again

PoliceMonkey161

Hello All,

Ok, I have re-rebuilt the Dana 30 and just as in the past, "wandering" has worked back into the steering. I got it all worked out of the orginal axle, but the new one has a slight wandering problem?

My caster is at 5 degrees and it wants to track straight, but the smallest of wheel turn (over 35 mph) sends me into the next lane? I have the "toe-in" an additional 3/16th-1/8th of an inch.

The only change to the set up is the heavy duty "Rugged Rid." (not trying to throw them under the bus or Jeep)? I'm going to change it back to the OEM linkage and see what happens. I also bought the upper (lower) steering column bearing kit figuring that can't hurt.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

maybe something needs replacing in the back end? bushings or something?

I thought Caster was set at 6 degrees, but that might be for a TJ only. I know you have checked the ball joints and wheel bearings for play, are you running a track bar (pan hard bar)? Play in that? That and the shackel bushings for play? Also check the steering gear box for play, bolts tight to the frame. Also any play in the pitman arm?

Hey Utah_Jeepter,

Thanks for the input (and you too superj, but you and I have chatted before so I figured no formal intro needed :pray:) If my research is correct, an 85 CJ caster is 5-7 degress positive and I had 5 with my first axle w/o problems. CJ's do not use track bars or arms (nor is the caster or camber adjustable like a newer design, well it can be adjusted but not easily). The ball joints and bearings are new and pulling these back out will be my last resort, it could be possible one or more is defective from the factory? However, I took it to a fairly respected shop for the toe-in alignment and they did do a safety inspection. But like many shops, they have a disclaimer about lifted/modified 4X4's and thier handling.

I think that I will install the OEM steering linkage (if I get time today) and adjust the steering gear box. The gear box is new (remanufactured as of May), but I had a similiar problem with a prior one.

I did do some digging with reagrds to the "Heavy Duty" linkage and it seems a lot of folks were just not satisfied with them?

Ok....As I had suspected. Changed back to OEM steering linkage and problem solved. Not trying to slander the "Rugged" Heavy Duty Steering setup, maybe it's just my Jeep? After all, most of my suspension is Rugged Ridge. It certainly does not handle like a sports car. And not like it did when it was brand new in 85 nor as it did with 27 year old linkage, but somewhere very manageable in between. I think a small adjustment to the flow control of the power steering and it will be good as new......

Back