strange problem

mujaman

this past weekend i took a trip and ran into a problem with my jeep that i can't figure out. as i'm driving (at any speed and in any gear... w/ a 5-speed), the jeep will randomly "stall" out. it's hard to explain what i mean by "stall" though... the engine doesn't die or even come close to dying... it just goes to what seems to be basically idle, and pressing the gas pedal has absolutely no affect. then out of nowhere, it will "re-engage" and if i have the pedal pushed atleast somewhat down, it jerks as it quickly re-accelerates. this cycle of "stalling" and "starting" goes on for 15-20 seconds and i usually just pull over and stop because i lose too much speed and can't keep up with traffic. then i just start up again and it continues fine until it decides to mess up again (and it really doesn't do it often at all... it will do it a few times, and then not do it again at all). i've only had this problem a few times over the past few days. i gave it a couple of doses of fuel treatment (since i went through 2 tanks of gas) today with some methyl alcohol stuff that was supposed to drive out any moisture in the gas tank/line. i've experienced a problem that has the EXACT same "symptoms" before in a different setting... whenever i get extremely low on gas my jeep will "stall" in the same way whenever i go around a corner too quickly. anyways though, any help would be much appreciated! merry christmas everybody!

also could be fuel filter, distributor, etc.... i'd check the ignition system thoroughly for loose connections, worn parts, etc.

thanks for the advice. i was thinking something more along the lines of a fuel filter also... but who knows. it hasn't done it again for a few days, and i checked the trouble codes and didn't get anything (just 55). hopefully it has resolved itself!

Back