stupid people and snow

graewulf

Why is it that owners of sporty little econo-boxes think that they can drive on the road when there is 10" of snow & still falling? I was coming home from philly yesterday during the snow storm and stopped to help a guy in a little honda who high-centered himself in the snow when coming off the exit ramp from I-295 (going to work at Staples no less). Of course he had absolutely no tow hooks on the thing at all, so I wrapped the tow strap around the rear control arm and to my front hitch and pulled him out of the deep snow to where it was plowed. And to top it off, he had a flat front tire.. ugh! Why is it these people don't stay home when its snowing that hard????? The cop that stopped thanked me for pulling the guy out (the plows couldn't clear the ramp because of him) and couldn't stop saying how stupid he was for being on the road...

It's not just the guys in the little econo boxes that are stupid in the snow. Ever notice that 90% of the vehicles in the ditch on a snowy day are 4x4's? Seems that a lot of people think that because their vehicle is 4 wheel drive they can travel safely at faster speeds in snowy conditions. These people need to learn that sure they may have better traction from being stuck but just because it has 4 wheel drive it isn't gonna handle any better at fast speeds and it sure isn't gonna stop any faster. I can't count how many 4x4's we pulled out of the ditch when I worked up at the ski mountain but it was definately a lot more than cars.

I would love driving in the snow if not for them. I understand when a storm hits and everyone is at work and needs to get home, but this past Sunday the roads were filled, with 1 foot of snow on the ground. I understand there are emergencies but what could be so pressing that so many folks go out in that stuff and risk their lives with no skills and or an incapable vehicle.

I had to get some groceries to my mother, and it scared the crap out of me to do so with all the idiots out there.

Sparky-Watts said:
Dang good thing you drive a grocery-getter, huh?:purple:
Actually, for that run I used our 4WD Chevy Silverado 2500HD.

Call it what you want, it'd smoke that YJ of yours on any trail ;)

it is true that for some reason when snow flies, people all of the sudden forget how to drive.

and i agree with craig, a lot of times the cars you see on the side of the road are the SUVs that people drive because they think they're invincible in those. not the case. i'm actually driving my brother's accord right now in boston, and we got hit with over a foot of snow, i haven't had a problem yet in that. now, i didn't go out when we had a foot on the ground, but with snow still covering some streets, i'm fine. it just takes a little common sense.

I had a 280zx once and it was the best car I ever drove in the snow not 4wd. That thing just wouldn't get stuck. Granted it was never really deep snow but the streets were covered.

image-missing.png

That was probably my favorite car.

when i lived in Maryland, in 2002(i think it was 02) we had a state of emergancy because of the amount of snow. it was illegal to drive. i pulled so many cars, trucks and trees off the raod that the fire dept. sent me a thank you letter and a letter of recomendation.( so i put that in my resume)

Hey some of those “eco boxes” are not bad in snow… in fact I have a Nissan 350z and I got caught in lake affect snow that no one knew was coming. Sure I had no traction and drove 15mph but I made it home. A 4x4 suburban flew past me on i294 and I saw the guy fly backwards into a ditch. I stopped and asked if everyone is ok and drove away. He ended up driving out of the ditch but damaged something. Since that night I bought a jeep and now I get stuck only in mud….

Back