Sub Placement???

ive been thinking alot about under the driver seat placement. i had planed to mound my cd changer under there also, but that glove box idea sounds pretty good. If i raise the box up a bit, wont that take care of any water issues? THe only other thing i can think of is the theft issue, which u really just have to get over as soon as you start working on your jeep. Im alsp thinking of mounting the amp under the rear seat. DOes anyone see any serious problems with these plans?
Reggie[addsig]

ive been thinking alot about under the driver seat placement. i had planed to mound my cd changer under there also, but that glove box idea sounds pretty good. If i raise the box up a bit, wont that take care of any water issues? THe only other thing i can think of is the theft issue, which u really just have to get over as soon as you start working on your jeep. Im alsp thinking of mounting the amp under the rear seat. DOes anyone see any serious problems with these plans?
Reggie

I have 2 really crappy amps mounted under my rear seat, and I don't really like that place for them at all. They were there when I bought them and I'll be taking them out as soon as i get the money for a new head unit. My biggest problem with that position is that when i have the rear seat folded up or removed completly, I have to be careful about what I carry in there so it doesn't damage the amps. If you don't haul alot of stuff or want to fashion a strong guard for them, then this would probably be good for you. The only other downside I can think of is that you have to be really careful about any water back there so they dont blow up.

TARSI[addsig]

I went to the local stereo place. (They sponsor my integra type R) and picked up a wrangler sub box for the back. It hold two 10" subs and its a sealed enclosure. I do custom stereo fabrication and this worked fine for my jeep. I always want the loudest system and this hits pretty good for a jeep. My integra is around 155 DB but my jeep sounds good.
You can hear the bass even with the top off. I also only have a soft top and it still sounds good. [addsig]

Also... The box is made to fit perfectly behind the back seat and the rear door.

I also have a Kenwood deck. With SATELITE RADIO! I love that!!!! Works so well. It SIRIUS radio. Great stuff. Mounded the brain under the driver seat. Ant on the hood. and I also have some 6x9 speakers on the rear fender wells inside.

edited by: Jeepin91, Mar 08, 2003 - 12:24 PM[addsig]

Hey jps4jeep, i sent you a private message with my email address in it if you could check that out and send me that stuff id really appreciate it...

thanks,

nathan[addsig]

jps4jeep do you know what the depth of the section behind the seat is?? I been wanting to put a W7 back there and check it out... and put the big AS$ amp under the seat.. and BTW do you work at Best Buy... BB employees are the only people i know who have MECP certs.[addsig]

Unfortunatly Yes I did work there for about 6 months but all my formal training was in a private custom shop here in mass north of Boston. My system is a little weak right now, I am in the process of re-doing everything. I am running a pioneer premier DEHP-940
Pioneer premier single din 6-disc in the re fiberglassed glove box, RF 200x2 for a set of infinity kappas in sound bar, rf 600x4 for clarion pro audio 6 1/2 seperates in custom rear kick pods, and pro audio 4x6 seperate plate speakers in dash, and a jl 500 mono block on the L7 dual voice coil @ 2 ohms. 2 i farad caps (need 3). The deck and the kappas are recent additions about a month ago. I want to change the rear seperates for 6 1/2 BA pro's and the fronts for 4" BA pro seperates (need to refiberglass the dash so this is iffy??) and I will be adding a center channel for better imaging (not sure off the processor I want to use. looking at the new one from a/d/s). I want to add screens to the front for possible navagation and dvd but now we are talking exxtra money that I do nt need to spend, like any of this is necessary. I also have a dei (not dale earnhart inc) clifford matrix RS2 alarm and remote start with proximity sensors (thanks to best buy discount) BUT I NEED A LIFT, WHATS WRONG WITH ME. ADDICTION ADDICTION[addsig]

I want to run a 10 or 12 W7 probably powered by a JL 1/1000 amp or a close equiv. either being PPI or something else... We are going to do a template for the 4x6 and put a 4" comp. and a seperate tweeter.. Right now I have some Vege 5 1/4 in the sound bar but we might cut and cram some 6 1/2 Pioneer REV series or some MB quarts all powered by some small amp.. Optima Yellowtop battery and a Mean Green high output alt. custom Fiberglass box for the W7 custom colored to match the Jeep.. Solar Yellow :-D btw BA's are awesome I was thinkin about those too my buddy had some in his Grand Prix god did they sound nice... the highs are REALLY high though

edited by: UrbanJeep, Mar 12, 2003 - 01:03 PM[addsig]

I have 2 JL audio 12w3 in a box behind my back seat. fits great and sounds great. I put the amp(1x500w JL) under my back seat. :-D

yea but do your lights dim with the subs hit at night

edited by: UrbanJeep, Mar 12, 2003 - 01:06 PM[addsig]

Since you said that you have 5 1/4 in the sound bar, I am assuming that you have a TJ, YJ factory sound bars only came with 4" jensen speakers. A pioneer 6 1/2 will fit perfectly in the sound bar with out cutting, but if you get the oversized model by accident, they measure 6 3/4 (for VW's) they will not fit. The only catch to the 6 1/2 is that you will have to drill new mounting holes and if you ever remove the speakers, and replace the factories, there will be holes in the fabric.
In the system I prior to the one that I am currently replacing, is that confusing? any how, I was running a 2001 model year 12w3 d2 with the coils wired in series to accept a 2 ohhm stable load, and had a kenwood excellon 600x2 bridged to 1 channel to provide that 2 ohm stable load and it was awsome sound. I went to the L7 only because I wanted to have the drawn out bass sound of a 12 or 15 inch sub but also the punchiness of a 8 or 10 inch and I found that the L7 did that best (from the subs that I tested.) I love how it sounds but I need to rebuild the box because it is a bit on the constricting side. It is accually the enclosure that I had the 12w3 in and I just cut the corners out and stuck the L7 in. Problem is I need more parametric volumn in front of the sub and the 12w3 was content @ .76 cubic inces and the L7 calles for a minimal .88 C.I. I stuffed a sh*t load of polyfill in the enclosure but it seems a little short on breath.[addsig]

My thing is I want the sub to sound good.... Kinda punchy but still loud but not so loud that I drown out the components... Thats why I might go with Bostons they have such highs and decent mids.. Which way is your sub firing? Up, DOwn???[addsig]

I mounted a box behind the backseat of a TJ. I built it custom to where you can't take it out unles you release the back seat. I just got a CJ7 and I'm trying to decide where to put a decent size sub. Does the YJ have the fold up back seat?[addsig]

Well it looks like the time has come.. So far i decided to go with a Clarion head cd, mp3 player, with new 6.5" coaxials in the soundbar... a pair of tweaters in the dash (over the existing dash speakers... pain in the @$$ to get out so I'm leavin them in) and I have no choice but to put my sub behind the back seat... probably a 10" maaaybe 2, depends how rich I feel... as for the amp, well either in the center console if it fits, or under the drivers seat... I'm curious how NewJeeper got an amp under the back seat... [addsig]

I had 2 Sony Xplod 12's behind the seat in the TJ with the amp mounted under the back seat beside my cd changer. They hit unbelievably hard.[addsig]

I'm not sure about the YJ because I don't know much about them and I do know that I couldn't mount an amp under my rear seat of my CJ7, but I had an amp fit great under the fold up rear seat of my TJ[addsig]

I have all three of my amps under my rear seat, and for the four years I have been putting amps into my wranglewr, have never had a heat problem. I know on my YJ (94) the height of the rear seat if adjustable, and I just set the height higher. The two RF and the Two caps sit towards the front and the JL is behind that with the two distrobution blocks.
My first set up years back was with two tens with the subs firing in to the jeep (recycled from a previous truck) sounded pretty good with a hard top, but un-noticeable with anything else, thats when I went to a down firing system, angeled slightly foward. three inches in the front 2 1/2 rear. If you go with a w7, a down firing sub would most likely have to be 5 inches off the floor, the throw distance for the cone on one of those is HUGE. also the box would be completly vissable. My box sits below the wheel well height, and then I cut a piece of wood, and made my own insta-trunk. I picked up some 1/4 inch angle iron and drilled it into the wheel well, and the wood, so it is not coming out!![addsig]

Back