Superwinch of a deal??

Natty

Have a friend I used to work with and just bumped into him today. After picking him back up...he mentioned that he had an extra 12,500lb superwinch he didn't have any use for. $200 was his going price. What should I look for in order to avoid purchasing one hell of a paperweight? If it's in good condition...anyone want a winch for...let's say...um...$500? Thanks.[addsig]

just see if it works! ask him to wire it up, you don't need to mount it; simply using gator clips like from jumper cables you could verify its working condition. if it turns, buy it! if you go to put it on your car and can't use it, put it on ebay for 400![addsig]

Sounds like a deal if it works!!
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Are we negotiating, senor dingus?
image-missing.png
just kidding. I kinda want one. Are there any tell tale signs to avoid...ie. rust, exposed wires, blood stains, sparks shooting out of it, old owner's hand caught in the cable...etc.? One thing that remains fresh in my mind is the last repair performed due to less than driver's ed quality display on the beach. That little voice of reason I ignored may once again return like the Ghost of Christmas past under the encouragement of the little winch devil dancing and chanting temptations and double dog dares into my soul; bringing along his/her personal mechanic and corresponding hourly labor rates. Long and hopefully gramatically correct sentence made short - I know I'll be encouraged to do more stupid stuff, hence resulting in more naughty names for my first love while it rides on the tow truck like the shuttle on the 747 awaiting repair. The end. Thanks, Matt.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Hey there Natty, Being an old horse tradeing, Junque Dealing, Auctioneer I buy sale & trade for a living. So I know a little bit about this sort of thing. Winches are not that different from Vintage Harley Davidsons, or old rusted over corn shellers. What you do sure enough is all your business but this is just a pointer or two from years of secondary market research and practial applaction. lol 1st never tell to much about what you have in the works. (Where it comes from or what you need to pay for the item) 2nd Never set an opening price for the sale. (Let the one in need make the 1st offer, You can always come down on your selling price but it is hard to go up) 3rd and last if a deal seems to good to be true is most likely is. Oh yea if an offer to sale is refused by the buyer, the offer becomes null and void, thus allowing you to reset the offering price at any future time. But the winch really sounds good. I have never heard of any one wearing out a winch on a 4x4. So it is most likely a good deal! I agree that eBay is the place to unload it, and there is a good profit left at the $200.00 price. Best of luck in the resaleing of the winch. Sorry I guess I just found myself on a soap box again! Tug
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Good advice...but I would't sell it if I bought it...it sounds like too much fun to have...given that it actually works...
image-missing.png
[addsig]

if it works it's good, unfortunatly a winch can look good but not work good.. signs that it has been abused at burn marks where the wires connect, a cable that looks like it was never stored properly, and rust/soot/burn marks on the joints of the housing.

That being said, you can get a new Warn 9500 lbs winch on ebay for about $500 shipped to your door.[addsig]

Back