suspension or body lift

rustynuts

I want my jeep to look good, not neccesarily have the off road performance. My question is which one would make me look higher the suspension or the body lift. I have 31 inch bf alll terrains so I need some suggestions on how high to go, I don't want to make my tires look too small. Any help would be greatly appreciated.undefined[addsig]

you could go with a shackle and body lift combo. I have a 1.5 inch shackle and a 3 inch body lift on mine... I'm running 32 inch tires and it looks great...[addsig]

What year??? I have 31's on my 97 TJ with the 1 3/4 spacers in the coil springs and it look great.[addsig]

If you're just going for look and wont be offroading, i'd go with the body lift. If you're thinking of going offroad, get the suspension. The suspension gives you more ground clearance whereas the body lift only raises the body. the suspension lift looks better, thought, in my opinion, because the body lift leaves spaces between the body and the bumpers. -Mike [addsig]

THe spacers are actually a suspension lift. They sit on top of your stock coil springs. THey cost right around 125 for the set of 4 with extended bump stops. Installation only takes a couple hours. VERY EASY.[addsig]

Body lifts are bad news in general. You install a body lift and all of a sudden things don't line up right, things don't look right, etc..... A suspension lift is the only right way to do it no matter if you plan on going off road or not. Body lifts are the cheap and easy way out. [addsig]

31"s fit on a stock TJ, no need for any lift to clear them providing you have wheels with a decent amount of backspacing.

If you're looking for cheap I'd recommend the RE budget boost, it's a 2" spacer lift with new bumpstops and new shocks. At 2" of lift you should replace the shocks or you'll just ruin the stock ones soon. It costs about $200, you can get it from http://www.offroadtoystore.com

If you get bigger tires, say some 32"s or some small 33"s a 1" body lift would be a good idea. If you're in a large impact the body mounts on the tub might move but considering the size of impact needed it will be the least of your concerns
image-missing.png

as far as everything lining up you can also add a 1" motor mount lift to that. I put the 1" MML/BL combo from MORE on mine and I didn't have to change any shift linkage, fan shroud, or steering componets. It will also help with drive line vibes
image-missing.png

HTH[addsig]

I've had a number of jeeps with both suspension and body lifts and if you aren't planning on taking it off road much, then I'd go with the body lift. By installing a body lift instead of a suspension lift you keep your center of gravity lower (your frame isn't any higher....just the body). Your jeep will handle much better on the street with just a body lift because of the lower center of gravity. If do the body lift will you will have gaps inbetween the body and frame. If you are planning on installing aftermarket bumpers, then you can get someone (an off road shop) to make something up to install the bumpers a little higher up to hide the gaps. The gaps don't look that bad depending on the size of the body lift. I think the biggest body lift you can buy is 3 inches....Even this doesn't look all that bad. If you are concerned with the gap, there are other ways of hiding the it with either sheetmetal or I've even seen plastic strips but I personally wouldn't worry about it, it doesn't look bad at all.[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE> as far as everything lining up you can also add a 1" motor mount lift to that. I put the 1" MML/BL combo from MORE on mine and I didn't have to change any shift linkage, fan shroud, or steering componets. It will also help with drive line vibes </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd never even heard of a motor mount lift. I assume that it just lifts the motor (and maybe transmission?) off the frame alittle? Sounds interesting.[addsig]

yup, a bunch of companies make them, some are taller mounts, some use spacers. It lifts the engine 1 inch at the mounts raising the pan up. Since it leaves the transmission mount stock it also tilts the whole driveline down which helps with vibrations from lifts.[addsig]

wow! Thanks for all the info. I think I will go with a suspension lift. My local off road shop says I can get it done for about $450. That includes the shocks and boots and the spacers and labor. Does this price seem reasonable? Again, thanks for all the info.[addsig]

<<I've had a number of jeeps with both suspension and body lifts and if you aren't planning on taking it off road much, then I'd go with the body lift. By installing a body lift instead of a suspension lift you keep your center of gravity lower (your frame isn't any higher....just the body). Your jeep will handle much better on the street with just a body lift because of the lower center of gravity. If do the body lift will you will have gaps inbetween the body and frame. If you are planning on installing aftermarket bumpers, then you can get someone (an off road shop) to make something up to install the bumpers a little higher up to hide the gaps. The gaps don't look that bad depending on the size of the body lift. I think the biggest body lift you can buy is 3 inches....Even this doesn't look all that bad. If you are concerned with the gap, there are other ways of hiding the it with either sheetmetal or I've even seen plastic strips but I personally wouldn't worry about it, it doesn't look bad at all.>>

wrong! Your center of gravity *is* higher. When the body, or any other part is higher, so to is the center of gravity. [addsig]

I never said that your center of gravity wouldn't be raised with a body lift ....it's just lower with a body lift verses a suspension lift.[addsig]

Back