sway bar disconnect

Greencuke

i hear alot about disconecting my sway bars when i wheel, more axle travel and whatnot, but what i havn't heard yet is how to do it. anyone care to instruct me?[addsig]

First, you need a set of these. Unless you want to unbolt them every time.
image-missing.png
the quick pins let you disconnect the front axle from the sway bar and you should tie the swaybar up against the frame out of the way.

Also, YJs have track bars that limit travel. some people take them off, but I think there are disconnectable track bars available too?

One thing to watch is brake lines, make sure it doesn't pull them too tight with the extra travel, you may need longer ones.

Also, be sure not to forget to connect them for road travel. be sure to feel the vehicle out, i.e. move the steering wheel a few times, to make sure it handles normal on the road. you don't wanna find out you forgot the swaybar after you are doing 70 on the highway.

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

these are dicoed and non-discoed pix of my CJ.

you'll also notice a smoother ride on trails. the bumps soak up much nicer.

-keith[addsig]

helping disconnect the sway bar will help, you can buy a set of disconnects, or you can make your own in a couple of ways such as drilling out the pin on your sway bar and replacing it with a hitch-pin.

YJs do have track bars, most people just remove the rear, it's there for road comfort and honestly if you have decent spring packs it doesn't do anything so it's ok to remove it.

The front has a bit more force, with stock springs you might start to experience problems such as axle wrap and a slight shifting of the axle from side to side if you remove it. Some people do so anyways and live with it, or you can get a telescoping front track bar (I think Rubicon Express makes them) that you lock when on the street, unlock when you're having fun
image-missing.png
[addsig]

thanks guys, now my next question is where do i locate the swar bar? im looking through my haynes manual and it doesn't say anything about a sway bar, but im probibly looking in the wrong place...[addsig]

it's in the front.

the sway bar is U-shapped, botton of that U goes in front of the grill.

From the ends of the U the sway bar links connect from the sway bar to about where the spring meets the axle.[addsig]

In the Haynes Manual, it is referred to as the Stabilizer bar and Stabilizer End-Links are the 'swaybar connects.' I removed mine permanently to go wheeling. I didn't get disconnects yet because I'm getting a lift after christmas and will get them with the kit. However, I have noticed quite a bit of vibration at hi-way speeds. Do you think that is due to the absence of the swaybar connects, or just tires that need balancing?

c[addsig]

The swaybar wouldn't cause any vibration ...... I would check your tires first. The main purpose of the sway bar is too keep the Jeep level in a corner, nothing more. If the steering wheel feels loose or shakes after hitting bumps, then it's your stabilizer shock.

If you're slightly mechanically inclined, you can easily make a set of disconnects by using your existing sway bar connects. I made a set and they work great ...... all you need is the right diameter steel pipe and locking pins...... maybe I'll take some pics of it.

Craig[addsig]

would you? i can do stuff, but it helps if i can see what im doing...[addsig]

Back