Sway bar endlinks - can't remove!!

jeepngeo

image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
ARGH! does anyone have any tips for removing endlinks from a front sway bay on a 14 year old YJ. I have put WD-40 on the bolts for days, removed the nuts and frame supports. But I can't remove the links from the bar. I'm trying to put some poly replacement bushing on it. A simple task right - I don't think so. I have it on jack stands with the front springs still compressed. Any Ideas would be great.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Even if I could, I don't have one. The ends that are really the problem are the top ones connected to sway bar itself. I'm thinking of some sort of vice grips-pushing it through-lots of four letter words-effort. Unless someone who has done this can share their experience.[addsig]

image-missing.png
After further review and an inventory of my toolbox, I went to Discount Autoparts an bought a gear puller. I hope that it works.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

it seems like you're on the right track... there's nothing more than those bolts. i was curious if maybe you were missing a clip or something, but after looking it up in my manual it shows there is only those bolts. have you tried tapping (wailing, beating, mauling) the things with a big fat hammer?
image-missing.png
[addsig]

image-missing.png
Puller No-workie, hammer no workie, patience no more. It looked like I also had to remove the Pitman arm to completely remove the sway bar - it blocked my route to slide it through ao I could work on those links without me being under the vehicle. So I didn't have to completely dismantle my front end, I left the top old bushings on and only replace the bottom link ones and the frame supports. I figure eventually a lift will go on and when everything is removed for that project the bushings will be replaced. Gotta love the "quick" projects!!
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Sorry dude wish i could ahve been more help! Good luck and yup remodle is alway a pain in the tool box! Tug[addsig]

I removed mine (jeep is a 91) and found that the only way they would come off is with a hammer. I tried everything and it was the only method that worked. There's a trick though, you need another hammer (or baby sledge) to absorb the impact otherwise it won't work.

If you try and just hammer it ....... the sway bar will absorb all of the force/impact and not enough force will be applied to the bolts.

I believe I used the same technique for the steering damper bolts. (that was an even tougher one to come out)

Craig[addsig]

mine were seized on for about 6 months, so i just went w/out sway bars, HORRIBLE handling, then when it was in the shop for the engine swap torched them bad boys off, i had previously tried EVERYTHING to get them off and nothing worked, had to be cut off

Quik[addsig]

torches, prybars, and hammers are the best tools. After using

all of these you will feel like it was a job well done[addsig]

anything that is being stuborn due to a rubber bushing should just be torched... many suspension parts lock the bolt into the bushing... if you melt the bushing... then the problem will be gone[addsig]

a cheap alternative to a torch would be a blow torch ( only 5 bucks) heat it up enough to melt the bushing and then beat on it with a mallet.. worked for me on my 89 wrangler[addsig]

I have an 89 YJ and removed mine about 4 months ago. I sprayed wd-40 first and then took the tire off and put a 250 ft/lb torque air impact wrench to it. Came off like new. With a jeep as old as ours, you have to have a compressor and impact wrench.

Priceless![addsig]

Having a Jeep that lived its life in NY winters, i have spent many hours under the Jeep workin with the torch and BMF hammer combo. Its a painstaking process but owning an older vehicle takes time, pain and effort sometimes...(along with many explicitives...)[addsig]

Back