Sway Bars please help!

Hey guys, this might sound like a stupid question but here goes any ways. I know what taking off sway bars does for off roading, but when on the road what is there purpose and do they or should they be left on? I dont do alot of off roading yet but just kinda wondering how hard it would be to take them off and why (if i should) leave them on.
Thanks for the help!

sway bars limit the side to side movement of the body, or roll. when you go 'round a corner the rig wants to roll to the outside correct? the sway bar, wich is connected to both sides of the axle and to the frame, will be twisted as the body rolls. therfor working against the tendancy for the body to lean or roll. if you take them off the rig will lean alot more in corners making it more likely that it will make the vehicle unstable and posible flop over. if you drive it like what i is and not a sports car you should be fine. best way to do it would be to get some sway bar diconects (what we call disco's.) that way when your on the road you have your sway bars and when you go wheelin, just pull a pin and bammo the bars a no longer attached.

did that make any sence, any at all. :)

The coils sprung front end will need them as I stated in another thread of yours, but the rear axle sits under leaf springs and a swaybar isn't really going to make a noticeable difference - especially under firmer and taller after market lift springs.

Yank the rear, get disco's for the front ;)

I have BDS quick disconnects on the front sway bar. They are very simple to disconnect and reconnect, and are quieter than most other disco's on the market. However, having a leaf-sprung Jeep, I haven't had mine connected in over 6 months and still haven't noticed a difference....even though TC seems to think I'm gonna roll it someday, I haven't yet!

Back