The blind leading the blind

TwistedCU

By MATT APUZZO
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON

The government discriminates against blind people by printing money that all looks and feels the same, a federal judge said Tuesday in a ruling that could change the face of American currency.

U.S. District Judge James Robertson ordered the Treasury Department to come up with ways for the blind to tell bills apart. He said he wouldn't tell officials how to fix the problem, but he ordered them to begin working on it.

The American Council of the Blind has proposed several options, including printing bills of differing sizes, adding embossed dots or foil to the paper or using raised ink.

I've known a few blind people in my day, and all of them could tell what currency they were holding just by the feel. It didn't matter whether it was a brand new crisp bill right out of the ATM or a wrinkled crinkled wadded dollar bill.....(who sang that song?).

I'm surprised that it took this long to include this action as a part of the ADA.

Americans with Disabilities Act...

I think they should have to re-design police, fire and ambulance sirens to accommidate the deaf.
They already have braille touchpads on the drive up windows of ATMs

I am sensitive to the problems facing the blind but to have to re-design the entire paper currency system at a great cost to the taxpayer..I just have mixed feelings. Now if they do a phase in over time with newly designed bills maybe...
but where does it stop?
What about the color-blind, or the people who can't smell or taste?

The bumps like braille embossed into them is okay by me, but I don't want a wad opf different sized bills in my pocket. I have a hard enough time keeping the bills the same size straight...

The bumps like braille embossed into them is okay by me, but I don't want a wad opf different sized bills in my pocket. I have a hard enough time keeping the bills the same size straight...

If they change the size of the bills, we'll get rich selling new wallets to everyone!

I get the point, but it seems like a slippery slope... You can't reinvent the world to make up for all the different handicaps out there. How do you decide where to draw the line?

People still use cash? Dude, seriously, turn the page on technology. Cash is for pawn shops and the Mafia.

We have running water, electricity, and now debit/credit cards.

As for the blind, who cares. They're only not seeing because they're too lazy to look.

I am rather curious as to how much money is spent for the constant redesign of our money... Seriously. I mean, you have to change it up a bit, that's a given, but where do you draw the line? The first new dollar coin minted probably has a net cost in the tens of thousands of dollars for all the artistry, the actual minting, the people who have been sitting around for MONTHS to decide what the new dollar coin will be...

And as far as the original topic at hand, I really don't think that any sort of elevation or depression on the surface of paper money will last at all long with being stored in wallets, run through ATMs and pop machines and bill counters and all that jazz... It's not a very durable currency to begin with.

I'm starting a movement to redesign the internet for the blind!

Back