The Golden Snowball Award

RE: Jeep Comanche

Well...it is done.

We have yet again won the “Golden Snowball Award”!!!

The quasi-official, semi-accurate snowfall stats for the 2004-2005 winter season have been tabulated.

The envelope please...

Once again, Syracuse, NY wins the award for "Large Upstate New York City with the Crappiest Winter Weather in the Known Universe."

image-missing.png

Know you know why judge09 moved from here to Florida. It wasn't because of the deficating Canada Geese.

(Wimp!) :lol:

Regards,

Snow-Blind Gadget

PS: For the really bored: http://www.goldensnowball.com/

RE: This is just annoying to me...

No the deficating geese werent the only reason :)

Nice to see Syracuse retain the title. I honestly didnt think we had that much snow.

GO CUSE!

RE: 1979 jeep cj question

Damn I'm hot down here. Must turn up air conditioning.

RE: Re: RE: WOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah I basically get buffalo weather... BUT

one thing I have to fix there... being a western NYer... we are NOT UPSTATE.... upstate is anything north of I-90 and east of Syracuse. City-folk refer to the mainland of NYS as "upstate" and they are wrong. There is NYS and there is NYC, "upstate" is only part of NYS

Snitty said:
yeah I basically get buffalo weather... BUT

one thing I have to fix there... being a western NYer... we are NOT UPSTATE.... upstate is anything north of I-90 and east of Syracuse. City-folk refer to the mainland of NYS as "upstate" and they are wrong. There is NYS and there is NYC, "upstate" is only part of NYS

I dont know how much I agree with that. I'm down with everything north of NYC being upstate. It just makes things easy for the 8+million who live in NYC and I dont want to be grouped with the NYC bunch. But to most of us we have regional names. West of Syracuse is western NY. The greater Syracuse area is central NY. The Albany area is the capitol region. and east of Syracuse and North of the thruway is the north country. Those damn NYC'ers will never know what they are missing.

Door Removal

i'm stickin to my guns... the "northern country" is upstate... I'll never consider myself upstate... hell, if i drive 5 minutes south, i'm in PA, definitely not upstate

How do I take the doors off?

Snitty said:
i'm stickin to my guns... the "northern country" is upstate... I'll never consider myself upstate... hell, if i drive 5 minutes south, i'm in PA, definitely not upstate

Also being a Western New Yorker, I have to agree with Snitty. To us atleast, the only part of NY state that is considered "UPstate" is UP the state...anything east and north of syracuse. In West NY we are "Western New York". Then you have the 'finger lakes region' (or central NY) going east from here, and after that, you go north, you go upstate, you go south you head "NYC area" lol.

AND, actually, you wanna really break it down, Me and Snits are both from western NY but, to us northern western nyers, anything south of buffalo is not even called western ny, but "The Southern Tier" ...so snitty, looks like im the only WNYer around here LOL :D

ok then... breakig it down further (and sorry for the hijack)... If I'm only from the southern tier, then you are only from the Niagara Falls region. Pshh you

RE: Re: RE: Pictures

Snitty said:
ok then... breakig it down further (and sorry for the hijack)... If I'm only from the southern tier, then you are only from the Niagara Falls region. Pshh you

wanna fight? HAH

Snitty said:
if you think you stand a chance, bring your northern hide half way, we'll see who rules WNY

hey you are talking to the Co-President of NY. watch it buddy 8)

ok ok no more highjacking

HA~HA~HA~HA!!!

After reading the previous eight posts, people all over the US of A better understand why NY-ers think that shooting each other for possession of a starter jacket is considered sport. We must all be demented by cabin fever!

{Chuckle}

Anyway ... none of the "up/down/east/west/central/finger lakes" designations mean anything in an official sense. They are all just casual and relative terms meaning: "That-a-way."

By the way, Rochester lies north (in terms of latitude) of Albania (The capital of NY), Syracuse and Buffalo.

Therefore, why would anyone choose Syracuse as the line in the snow for designating "Up" or "North"?

So there! Put that in your snowplows and push it around! :lol:

Regards,

Gadget

HELP- You all have never steered me wrong before.

Snitty said:

So, what's it like being UPSTATE? I hear you people have nice country around you...you know...being UPSTATE and all. I think I would like living where you live...that being UPSTATE New York.

I never understood why it's called "UPSTATE." Is it because you UPSTATERS like it to be called that? Or is it because you are higher in elevation...UPSTATE.

:twisted:

I think the rest of the state should be called, "Outer New York City."

Or perhaps a more direct approach such as, "NYC's redheaded step child."
Or maybe "New Greaser-Land."

Because it's all relative to Manhattan and you know it!!!

Yes, I'm trolling. and JK :lol: :twisted:

RE: HELP- You all have never steered me wrong before.

By the way, Rochester lies north (in terms of latitude) of Albania (The capital of NY), Syracuse and Buffalo.
Therefore, why would anyone choose Syracuse as the line in the snow for designating "Up" or "North"?

Actually I don't consider Syracuse "upstate"... to be more exact, the "upstate" region would be anything north of the imaginary line that would be drawn across the eastern half of NY if one were to continue across the upper edge of the western half

RE: Re: RE: HELP- You all have never steered me wrong before

Snitty said:

Actually I don't consider Syracuse "upstate"... to be more exact, the "upstate" region would be anything north of the imaginary line that would be drawn across the eastern half of NY if one were to continue across the upper edge of the western half

Thats the North Country! Either way, I think "upstate" was developed by NY'ers north of NYC so it would be easier for everyone else in the country to figure out where they are from. EVERY (not exagerating) person I talk to who is not from NY and asks where are you from considers NY to be NYC. Rather than giving a geography lesson and trying to explain there is a ton more NY than NYC, all non-NYC'ers just say "no, upstate NY" end of conversation. For 90% of the country thats good enough.

Of course I am a southerner now :) Two full weeks in south FL!

haha... I'm still standing on my rock. I even had a conversation with some people form NC last night. They were visiting here for a week and I had a chance to talk with them. I asked them if they knew what part of NY there were in, they replied "Western NY". I then asked them if they've ever been to upstate NY? They said "No, but I have family from Watertown, so you'd think I would have". I bring this thing up a lot actually. Upstate ______ (you fill in the state's name) is always thought of to be the upper half of the state.

I know that is the norm, and when non-WNYers say "upstate" I know what they are talking about. It is just something that has always picked at me. Just like the Midwest. It's not even halfway west. It is in the eastern half of the USA, its ALMOST mid, and definitely NOT west. That's like starting a trip with a full tank of gas, getting to 3/4 tank, and saying your tank is half empty.

Up, means "Away from the Earth" as in towards outer space.

That's North. Upstater.

Back