The Kremlin has spoken

90Xjay

Here is a nice taste of Communist style dictatorial leadership.

The Mayor of San Fran banned bottle water for city workers.

story here

Oh and what's next?
How about people with hybrids get special parking privileges
or No SUVs allowed in city parking lots?
Every city employee must only shower once per week
Don't flush the city toilets unless is a bad #2

he's taken a page from Boxer's playbook, what a looser!:rolleyes:

so basicly hes deni-ing city workers to drink water. i dont see how that makes any sence at all. none too healthy either.

so basicly hes deni-ing city workers to drink water. i dont see how that makes any sence at all. none too healthy either.

he expects them to drink tap water only at work. Would you drink anything that came from a spigot in San Fran:(

They did that at a place I worked once, so we spent the money usually reserved for the bottles on a rented RO unit that the tech just plumbed it right into the bottle dispenser. No bottle, no problem.

cripes i dont drink the tap water here in portland, OR. and it aint bad.

or a large portion of the whole state!

After I got out of high school I thought of moving there (Orange) I have relation that live there. I stayed a week to see how I would like it. I couldn't wait to leave! (00) Just not a good place for a Redneck.

After I got out of high school I thought of moving there (Orange) I have relation that live there. I stayed a week to see how I would like it. I couldn't wait to leave! (00) Just not a good place for a Redneck.

Orange county and SF are 2 completely different places. They are nothing alike. That's like comparing the cultural mecca of Alta Vista Kansas to Austin Texas.

Last edited:
Here is a nice taste of Communist style dictatorial leadership.

The Mayor of San Fran banned bottle water for city workers.

story here

Oh and what's next?
How about people with hybrids get special parking privileges
or No SUVs allowed in city parking lots?
Every city employee must only shower once per week
Don't flush the city toilets unless is a bad #2

he's taken a page from Boxer's playbook, what a looser!:rolleyes:

No no no. All that the story says is that the City isn't going to fund or facilitate the sail of bottled water. In other words, government vending machines, etc. City employees are free, just as you or I to go over to 7/11 to buy any plastic bottled water they want.

Plastic is the worst of the pollutant consumables as they don't breakdown, and to recycle them actually is worse for the environment. Remember, EVERY piece of plastic ever made is still in existence, or it's been recycled to another form.

I don't believe in recycling, but I do believe in reduction of needless over packaging that we have become so accustomed to.

We are pretty lucky to have some pretty tasty water here in Memphis.

The Memphis area obtains its drinking water from plentiful underground water systems, composed mainly of sand, called the Memphis aquifer and the Fort Pillow aquifer. The Memphis aquifer produces some of the highest-quality drinking water in the nation. The aquifer is located about 350 feet below land surface in downtown Memphis with an estimated thickness of 800 feet. Water is delivered to the surface through the use of wells. Memphis is one of the largest cities in the world that relies exclusively on ground water for its supply.

I buy cases of bottled water and then refill them from the tap a couple of times before I throw them in the recycling bin. I can't tell the difference from the fancy Aquafina and the tap water. And yes we've started recycling. Gotta keep the wife happy. :roll:

Orange county and SF are 2 completely different places. They are nothing alike. That's like comparing the cultural mecca of Alta Vista Kansas to Austin Texas.

That is my point. If I didn't like Orange, I believe, San Fran would be worse. I"m not trying to offend anyone, but it's not for me. BTW, how did you know that Alta Vista was a cultural mecca? :rofl: :rofl:

I'm not big on the whole bottled water thing, besides the obvious; freshwater sources like the Great Lakes are losing millions of gallons of water a year being bottled up and sold off, it's another plastic bottle that'll be there for my childrens childrens childrens children to play with, and water from the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department only costs pennies per gallon, versus 2 bucks for a liter of Aquafina... That being said, when you're out working in the hot hot sun, and you don't live in one of those TV cities where there's a drinking fountain every 5 feet down the street, your boss bringing you and your crew a bottle of Kroger bottled water or something is a very appreciated gesture. Me, personally, I carry around my Xtreme Gulp slurpee mug filled with water, and usually refill it three or four times a day.

Only 25% of of all plastic storage bottles ever get recycled. The rest end up in land fills. Most land fills do not have recycling facilities (there are some cities that do) that search for recyclables and recycle what can be.

It is a problem.

BUT - So is plastic containers. There is a debate as to whether dioxins are released by either freezing, heating or overusing plastic containers.

There are as many opinions regarding this but a lot of people believe it -
http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_frozen_plastic_dioxin.htm

The real problem is that most plastic water bottles are difficult to clean. There is always a haven for bacteria to grow.

Cooking M.O.
Micro- waving plastic wrap

Verdict

The Facts
Some people worry that nuking plastic releases cancer-causing dioxins. They shouldn't. "Dioxins are not present in plastics used for microwavable food containers or plastic wrap," says Rolf Halden, Ph.D., assistant professor of environmental health sciences at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health in Baltimore.

Keep In Mind
"When it says 'microwave safe' on the packaging, manufacturers have gone to great lengths to prove that the product is safe," Dr. Marsden says. If you don't see those two magic words on the label, keep the item out of the microwave: Chemicals could escape during nuking. Avoid reheating Styrofoam takeout containers for this reason too.

Myth/Legend -
Reusing water bottles

Verdict

The Facts
Since the shape of a water bottle makes it tough to wash, illness-causing bacteria get trapped inside. "It's a question of whether you're able to clean the bottles to prevent bacteria growth," Dr. Halden says. Chances are, you can't — or can't be bothered. To get rid of all bacteria, you'll need to decontaminate with bleach and a thorough rinse or soak the bottle in boiling water. Note: Some thin plastic bottles won't withstand this regime..

Keep In Mind
Freezing water bottles poses no known health risks, but experts recommend sticking to those labeled "safe for freezing," since changing the temperature of plastic may be dangerous. Anytime you want to heat or cool the water in your bottle, it's best to use plastic specifically designed for those purposes. If you're prone to leaving your bottle in a hot car, spring for a sturdy reusable one.

Look at the carby (water bottle) in the water cooler at work. Thick plastic intentionally made to be cleaned easily using high heat

But remember, even if your area does not have recycling facilities, you can still recycle! Remember that almost every house in america used an empty Clorox bottle to store clothes pins for the outside clothes line!
http://www.make-stuff.com/recycling/plastic_bottles.html

Only 25% of of all plastic storage bottles ever get recycled. The rest end up in land fills. Most land fills do not have recycling facilities (there are some cities that do) that search for recyclables and recycle what can be.

It is a problem.

BUT - So is plastic containers. There is a debate as to whether dioxins are released by either freezing, heating or overusing plastic containers.

There are as many opinions regarding this but a lot of people believe it -
http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_frozen_plastic_dioxin.htm

The real problem is that most plastic water bottles are difficult to clean. There is always a haven for bacteria to grow.

Cooking M.O.
Micro- waving plastic wrap

Verdict

The Facts
Some people worry that nuking plastic releases cancer-causing dioxins. They shouldn't. "Dioxins are not present in plastics used for microwavable food containers or plastic wrap," says Rolf Halden, Ph.D., assistant professor of environmental health sciences at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health in Baltimore.

Keep In Mind
"When it says 'microwave safe' on the packaging, manufacturers have gone to great lengths to prove that the product is safe," Dr. Marsden says. If you don't see those two magic words on the label, keep the item out of the microwave: Chemicals could escape during nuking. Avoid reheating Styrofoam takeout containers for this reason too.

Myth/Legend -
Reusing water bottles

Verdict

The Facts
Since the shape of a water bottle makes it tough to wash, illness-causing bacteria get trapped inside. "It's a question of whether you're able to clean the bottles to prevent bacteria growth," Dr. Halden says. Chances are, you can't — or can't be bothered. To get rid of all bacteria, you'll need to decontaminate with bleach and a thorough rinse or soak the bottle in boiling water. Note: Some thin plastic bottles won't withstand this regime..

Keep In Mind
Freezing water bottles poses no known health risks, but experts recommend sticking to those labeled "safe for freezing," since changing the temperature of plastic may be dangerous. Anytime you want to heat or cool the water in your bottle, it's best to use plastic specifically designed for those purposes. If you're prone to leaving your bottle in a hot car, spring for a sturdy reusable one.

Look at the carboy (water bottle) in the water cooler at work. Thick plastic intentionally made to be cleaned easily using high heat

But remember, even if your area does not have recycling facilities, you can still recycle! Remember that almost every house in america used an empty Clorox bottle to store clothes pins for the outside clothes line!
http://www.make-stuff.com/recycling/plastic_bottles.html

Back