Thick Black Smoke when on the gas

thelabrieski

Hey guys,

This past weekend i put some serious miles on my 89 YJ after a long time of not more than city driving. Everything was going great and there were no problems. Then after about 250 miles or so it started to studder and stall when i would come to a stop. I figured it might be overheating as my temp gauge does not work(that's another problem). I pulled over to check it out and the engine didn't seem to be that hot, I had just replaced the water pump and thermostat not more than a month ago, it is also holding all fluids and is full on all fluids.

I replaced the carter with weber about a month ago and have not had too many problems with it (other than the fast idle screw falling out and i can't seem to get the jeep to idle lower than 1100 RPMs, also it reves up to 1500/ 2000 when i stop and i have to kick it down to 1100, any ideas on this)

The engine seems to be doing fine and working hard and it doesent quit but it does jerk and studder when i am not "on the gas"

when i have my foot on the gas it does alright but black smoke comes out the tailpipe.

I am thinking that maybe there is crap built up in the cat from when the carter was running like crap for so long.

So i guess the short of it is, thick black smoke when i am on the gas, studdering jumping engine when i am not, what should i be looking into?

thanks guys

thick black smoke means that you're running rich... which could possibly be fouling plugs or clogging your cat.

dingus said:
thick black smoke means that you're running rich... which could possibly be fouling plugs or clogging your cat.

:agree:

I would look first at the carb (which, of course leads to all kinds of other things)

Back