This BUCKIN' Jeep!!

Abutterfly

Hi everyone! I haven't been on here in ages..I was going to say I was on some Special Ops mission...but I wasn't! Once again I am wanting to brutalize my Jeep..seriously...these should come with a lifetime membership to AAA...and one for ME for AA.

I am driving a 2000 Wrangler, 5speed 6cyl. with roughly 135K and I have had it with it. In the last six months or so it's been playin' with me. All the gauges on the dash will just go out.. the speedometer goes down to zero ...RPM's zero..and it will stay off for a minute or so.. or if I pound it with my fist, like my garage told me to do, it will come back up. ( The garage told me "It's a Jeep Thing"... hit it real hard with your fist...eventually you will need that whole dash 'thing' replaced and that is NOT cheap.Now I don't know if I will need it replaced from pounding it with my fist.. or for the actual problem?)

Then my gas gauge will just go to ZERO... " BING!!!!" Then it comes on... same thing with all the gauges.. airbag....check engine.. etc.

I noticed that the RPM's seem to be running a little high.. if I put the A.C on...it runs really high. If I am at a stop sign and I hear it running high, like 2000 or even 2500 RPM's I will put it in neutral and it is still revving high at 2500!! It will usually stop after about 5 seconds if I turn the A.C. off....

Okay and now on to the BUCKING!!!:x If I am driving it and cruising in 5th at 2000 RPMs...if I let off the gas.. like to slow for a stop light... it starts bucking!!! It sounds like this.. while it's bucking... BANG-Ah BANG-Ah BANG-Ah !!! I think my car is Italian!! :lol:

There is noise with the bucking.. it's not just bucking.. it's loud noise. I have to put it in neutral and then stop at the light.. or if I gas it again .. and blow the light...it will stop bucking... I'M KIDDING! I wouldn't run the light! :p I do have to give it gas or neutral it.

The check engine light is on... off and on.. and now it's ON. I went to take my kid to work yesterday... put the AC on while in park....pulled out... and it bucked and banged all thru first and second and it was horrible. My daughter looked at me like what the heck is that!? I managed to get the buckin' thing around the block in second and I parked it.

Let me interject something here... we have 3 vehicles.. ALL OF WHICH HAVE CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS ON!!!! (2 are Jeeps.. not that that means anything....)
We also live next to white trash that we are constantly feuding with... so..... perhaps it's an act of sabotage? What are the odds that ALL of our vehicles have the engine lights on? I am used to it with mine.. it's always something with it.

So hubby comes home from work.. you know the drill... SO.. WHAT THE DEAL WITH YOUR JEEP? I went thru the story...he just stands there with that blank stare on his face.... "Let me see your keys." I said OKAY.. but you won't get around the block!!! (Ladies, don't EVER say those words.. because you KNOW he is gonna get in that thing and he's gonna go around the town with NO problems.:x That's like the universe setting you up.)
Well.. he drove it.. NO PROBLEMS. He said the engine light was on... SURPRISE!!!... but it drove FINE.

Now what the BEEEEEEP is going on? I am afraid to drive it...I don't know if it's just the AC that triggers the problems or what.. either way.. it's AWFUL and scary. I will have to determine that if I can manage to get it around the block.

Okay.. so shower me with your words of wisdom.

Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble. You need to get the codes for the CEL. Do the on off three times with the key and write down all the codes that come up.
For the dash lights I would check all the wiring from teh fuse box behind the glove box to the panel. You may ahve a break, loose connectors or even an unseated fuse. Also a search on the dash lights I recall a post on this lately.

Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble. You need to get the codes for the CEL. Do the on off three times with the key and write down all the codes that come up.
For the dash lights I would check all the wiring from teh fuse box behind the glove box to the panel. You may ahve a break, loose connectors or even an unseated fuse. Also a search on the dash lights I recall a post on this lately.

Okay.. now me, MYSELF, I am supposed to get these codes?Where are these codes? On my dash? I thought the garage hooked it up and saw the codes? Sorry.. I am a female.. my Jeep is a mall crawler.. I know NOTHING about cars.. either it gets me to the mall or it doesn't. :lol: I did fill my washer fluid one time though....AND I replaced my wiper refills. TEEHEE.

Did the garage tell you the codes? Most auto parts stores will also scan for codes for free.

Sounds like some throttle body issues, I would remove the throttle body and all the sensors on the TB. Then give the TB a good bench cleaning with carb cleaner and a toothbrush, preferably an old toothbrush. The high idle could likely be the IAC (idle air control) sensor that's attached to the passenger side of the TB.

The bucking could be mechanical like a bad ujoint, since you describe it as happening when you're off the gas but not on. The driveline angles change slightly depending on on/off the throttle so it can indicate a ujoint problem. Could also be a fuel delivery problem.

The shop shouldn't be so quick to replace the gauge cluster in the dash, it could be as simple as a bad connection where the gauge cluster plugs into the harness (very common). It requires removing the gauge cluster and bending the tabs in the connector slightly for better contact, then reattaching with dialectric grease.

Okay.. now me, MYSELF, I am supposed to get these codes?Where are these codes? On my dash? I thought the garage hooked it up and saw the codes? Sorry.. I am a female.. my Jeep is a mall crawler.. I know NOTHING about cars.. either it gets me to the mall or it doesn't. :lol: I did fill my washer fluid one time though....AND I replaced my wiper refills. TEEHEE.

Place the key in the ignition and turn it to the on position. You do not need to start the jeep. From the on position turn the key "off" then "on" three times so you end up in the on position. Again you do not want to start the engine just turn the ignition key. The codes will flash in the odometer reading area.

Okay.. so shower me with your words of wisdom.[/QUOTE]

ask and ye shall receive.

you have electrical gremlins... they hide in the grounds a lot.

you either have to chase them out yourself with knowledge and skill, or pay a human who can.

assume flirty eye helpless girly behaviors in your local network and see what happens.

Do you have water leaking in the cab anywhere? I used to have the same problem with a Saturn ION I drive and the problem stemmed from a leaking sunroof. I fixed the leaky sunroof and haven't had any problems with my dash since.

I'll agree it could be a ground problem. Computer controled vehicles don't like it when he grounds get dirty or corroded.You could pull the battery cables off and clean em and see what happens. Bounty Hunter may be right also as it may be the IAC. Mine has been acting up and needs a good cleaning, but it's been awful hot and I haven't run out of cold beer yet.:lol: It won't cost you anything to clean the cables, a little baking soda and water but you do have to pull em off the battery to do this. Hang in there you'll get it figured out!

Yep I'd agree sounds like a grounding issue. Lights, gauges, and running issues can all stem from a single bad ground. Not sure where to start at, but maybe someone else knows which ground may impact all these things? I'm thinking one under the dash area somewhere...

try the grounging strap it is on the back of the engine to body. its bare cable . it grounds almost ever thing

Hi everyone! I haven't been on here in ages..I was going to say I was on some Special Ops mission...but I wasn't! Once again I am wanting to brutalize my Jeep..seriously...these should come with a lifetime membership to AAA...and one for ME for AA.

I am driving a 2000 Wrangler, 5speed 6cyl. with roughly 135K and I have had it with it. In the last six months or so it's been playin' with me. All the gauges on the dash will just go out.. the speedometer goes down to zero ...RPM's zero..and it will stay off for a minute or so.. or if I pound it with my fist, like my garage told me to do, it will come back up. ( The garage told me "It's a Jeep Thing"... hit it real hard with your fist...eventually you will need that whole dash 'thing' replaced and that is NOT cheap.Now I don't know if I will need it replaced from pounding it with my fist.. or for the actual problem?)
Wow you and yomammayj or whatever his name on confuse me with the way you talk, you act like your too good for jeeps, I heard I only use it for a "mall runner" or the "what else is new" attitude, you might also get the idea of thinking your neighbors are sabotoging you, lol it might be the backwoods country boy living beside you making my parking area look like an oil spill cleaned up with an occasional smell of fuel. Go drive a mercedes or lexus, or get a jeep with a little more sense in your mind. Your neighbors could probably fix it, if you think they would sabaotage your "mechanical" function of your Jeep.
Then my gas gauge will just go to ZERO... " BING!!!!" Then it comes on... same thing with all the gauges.. airbag....check engine.. etc.

I noticed that the RPM's seem to be running a little high.. if I put the A.C on...it runs really high. If I am at a stop sign and I hear it running high, like 2000 or even 2500 RPM's I will put it in neutral and it is still revving high at 2500!! It will usually stop after about 5 seconds if I turn the A.C. off....

Okay and now on to the BUCKING!!!:x If I am driving it and cruising in 5th at 2000 RPMs...if I let off the gas.. like to slow for a stop light... it starts bucking!!! It sounds like this.. while it's bucking... BANG-Ah BANG-Ah BANG-Ah !!! I think my car is Italian!! :lol:

There is noise with the bucking.. it's not just bucking.. it's loud noise. I have to put it in neutral and then stop at the light.. or if I gas it again .. and blow the light...it will stop bucking... I'M KIDDING! I wouldn't run the light! :p I do have to give it gas or neutral it.

The check engine light is on... off and on.. and now it's ON. I went to take my kid to work yesterday... put the AC on while in park....pulled out... and it bucked and banged all thru first and second and it was horrible. My daughter looked at me like what the heck is that!? I managed to get the buckin' thing around the block in second and I parked it.

Let me interject something here... we have 3 vehicles.. ALL OF WHICH HAVE CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS ON!!!! (2 are Jeeps.. not that that means anything....)
We also live next to white trash that we are constantly feuding with... so..... perhaps it's an act of sabotage? What are the odds that ALL of our vehicles have the engine lights on? I am used to it with mine.. it's always something with it.

So hubby comes home from work.. you know the drill... SO.. WHAT THE DEAL WITH YOUR JEEP? I went thru the story...he just stands there with that blank stare on his face.... "Let me see your keys." I said OKAY.. but you won't get around the block!!! (Ladies, don't EVER say those words.. because you KNOW he is gonna get in that thing and he's gonna go around the town with NO problems.:x That's like the universe setting you up.)
Well.. he drove it.. NO PROBLEMS. He said the engine light was on... SURPRISE!!!... but it drove FINE.

Now what the BEEEEEEP is going on? I am afraid to drive it...I don't know if it's just the AC that triggers the problems or what.. either way.. it's AWFUL and scary. I will have to determine that if I can manage to get it around the block.

Okay.. so shower me with your words of wisdom.
Wow you and yomammayj or whatever his name on confuse me with the way you talk, you act like your too good for jeeps, I heard I only use it for a "mall runner" or the "what else is new" attitude, you might also get the idea of thinking your neighbors are sabotoging you, lol it might be the backwoods country boy living beside you making my parking area look like an oil spill cleaned up with an occasional smell of fuel. Go drive a mercedes or lexus, or get a jeep with a little more sense in your mind. Your neighbors could probably fix it, if you think they would sabaotage your "mechanical" function of your Jeep.

Back