This is getting old...

BelleNoir

Okay so now my Jeep out of the blue stopped working today. Started fine, I drove her to the grocery store, came out and she wouldn't start... NO power nothing... We tried to clutch start her it didn't work. Had someone jump start her and she fired right over. I have had a problem with the Negative battery cable before, but Checked that and it doesn't seem to be the issue. Could it do something with someone trying to steal the starter, a dead battery or a bad ground?

Yes all of the above. Poor grounds from the battery to the block, to the frame and to the body will and can cause a no start issue. A battery below 12V or like 11.8 V is considered dead and will not start the vehicle though you might get the dome lights and radio to play. So push starting doesn't work in these situations.
take the battery to Aotu zone or o Reilly's to have them load test it.

Check and clean (polish by sanding) all battery and ground connections both ends. Check the alternator as well.

Good luck. Reading this really sucks!

The last time I had seen that issue it was due to the battery being completely dead. An auto parts store can load test it and I'm sure they'll confirm that as well.

Someone trying to steal the starter could indirectly help this problem. If the hot wire from the battery was cut and shorted the battery out at all, it could definitely speed up the wear and tear on a battery.

The reason that it starts right up off a jump is you're using their battery for the start. Then your alternator keeps your Jeep running, but because of the toast battery it won't charge while you drive. When you got home, if you go out in 30 minutes it probably won't turn over again.

ha ha ha, thats a long time overdue

she was supposed to get a new one in 08 though, 4 years ago.

i am not a fan of frivolously replacing parts that could still be good but getting an extra four years off a 5 year battery is badass. i used to work in a battery shop and every once in a while i would see batteries come in like that, years past their 5 year mark. the longest i saw a set in continuous use was i replaced the trojan 6 volt deep cycles on a club car golf cart that were 12 years old. the dud said he used it every day and checked the water every morning. he said if it was low, he refilled it with supermarket distilled gallon waters. he also said he was only replacing them because they were slowing down about an hour earlier then they used to and when i checked them, the still read great but he wanted new ones.

ya just never know, my aunt bought a brand new buick in 03, has the original battery in it, thats 9 years of use.

Back