ticking under load 360 wagoneer

White Woody

Hello, new to here and have a problem. I bought a Grand Wagoneer 10 years ago and been slowly restoring it. Just replaced the smog diverter valve, drivers side injection manifold and all three check valves. The two exhaust valves were destroyed which burnt out the diverter and drivers side air inj. manifold. Had a ticking sound from that area and thought when the injection manifold was replaced it would be gone. Nope. It only ticks in drive or reverse. Fairly loud at floorboard and inside engine compartment. Can here it with foot on brake and accelerate some. reving in park or neutral produces no ticking. Seems just a little sluggish but still jams when you put your foot in it.Tried broomsticks and long t.p. tubes but can't seem to isolate it. Hoping someone out there can help, maybe I'll be able to help others with what i've experienced on this beast. So glad I found you.

White woody, it would appear to me you simply have a leaking exhaust manifold gasket on one bank of the engine. The sound it makes is distinctive: a "tinking" sound during acceleration. JB

Which valves were burnt? Front usually means a carburetor (fuel) problem, rears usually mean a vacuum leak, often at the manifold. Just exploring the possibility whatever caused the valves to fail, might still be there and maybe causing detonation, valve slap from loose guides or maybe excessive rocker play from a scored cam.
A vacuum gage can tell you quick if you have a valve problem, the needle swings wildly. Plug color can tell you (comparing) which cylinders may be running lean.
Not sure about the 360, but on other trucks, loose torque converter bolts can cause a tick.
Any sort of miss when this is happening? Ignition, spark jump?
Try reducing your initial timing about 4 degrees and see what happens. I used to get some valve/rocker rattle on my old FSJ Wagoneer, retarding the timing helped.

Thanks j.b. Finally got the time to snoop around some more and the bolts for the #4 and #6 exhaust were actually loose. Tightened em up and sound has diminished. Saturday I'll replace gaskets. Should have checked that earlier but after a full day playing with the air injection stuff, I was done. Again thanks.

To MudderChuck, thanks for the imput. It was the smog diverter diaphrams that were toast because the check valves in the air injection manifold had burnt through cause of age. let hot gasses from exhaust manifold back through the air injetion to the diverter. I know I,ll find more things I,ll need help on and hope you,ll be there. Again thanks

Last edited:
I would put an aftermarket non-aerobic cat on and remove the AIR rubbish, and cap it all. The one made by Random technologies comes with a 50 state tag that requires all that air injection stuff to be capped and/or removed (California hates that, but it's the LAW!)
Mine is gone (here in WA) and I pass cleaner than most cars made before '95 (and that's on an '84 AMC 6 cyl with the feedback carb)

Thanks carnuck. been away for awhile. Gonna check out your info. Be nice to get away from all that junk under the hood.

Back