Tires Choices

Ryan T. Weitzel

I'm looking for some new tires on my 02 wrangler. I'm thinking about the Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ plus since most of my driving is on the road. It's my daily driver and the Goodyear MT/R's are the worst choice as far as wear, and sound. They perform great.

Has anyone run the Baja ATZ plus or the Pro Comp AT, or Yokahoma Geolandar's? These are my 3 favorites as far as how they look. I just need some performance info from people other than the factory. They always tell you what you want to hear.

I would not go with geolanders, my wife had a set on her liberty, she did not get alot of miles out of them!

About 8-10 yrs ago, I had a set of Mickey Thompson Baja belted on one of my YJ's, I believe it was my '95. I didn't care for those because they went down too fast and busted bead. I was averaging about a flat every couple days out here. They just didn't hold up in the creosote sticks. The super swampers sure did though. Dropped flats in half and when I started running the load range D and E tires they REALLY slowed down the flats. Just had a creosote stick run through my side wall a couple weeks ago on my truck and had to buy a couple new tires for it,as I whined and sniveled about Jeep parts money going to truck tires.
:redface:

Last edited:
The BFs look good but they ball up in the snow. I had them on a Bronco I had. I had Liberty tires on a Blazer I had too and those were pretty good.

I'm a pretty big fan of the Wrangler DuraTrac, myself... great looking tire, too.

I just got a set of Cooper S/T 31 10.5 15. Partly because there was a buy 4 for the price of 3, plus a $75 rebate. They have a 50,000 mi warranty and I got the road hazard protection. I'm hoping they're a good all around tire. They're not too noisy either. Cooper makes an STT which is more aggressive. The Cooper web site has some good comparison charts of their tires.
4070540640_41bc9c7fba_m-1.jpg

4070540640_41bc9c7fba_m.jpg

Last edited:
I love my BFG Mud Terrain TA's.. Never let me down crawling, and they track well without too much noise on the highway.

I've seen good things out of my buddy's ProComp MT's harder rubber that has held up on the road & performs great off road

I've got Firestone Destination M/T's (30 x 9.5). Great road manners, no noise and really good off road performance. Plus, at around $130 each, not a bad deal at all.

I've always like the super swamper. I have 35x15.50x15 super swampers radials on my j10 and they aren't to noisey.

Back