Tires

ckskier

I'm looking for some new tires and I think I have narrowed it down to the dick cepek mud country, the Mickey Thompson baja mtz, and the Mickey Thompson baja claw but I'm open to suggestions and comments. Also I am going to run 35x12.5 15r and I was wondering if I should replace stock rims or if it matters. Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited:

Mostly on road driving? Or this strictly off road? If you are mostly rolling around on the road I'd say skip out on the claws. Mud Country are pretty nice, A friend of my used them for awhile he said they were a bit slippy in rain but otherwise a great tire. Don't know much about the MTZs. I hear Pro Comp's Xterrains are really good, but for me its all about Goodyear MT/Rs.

I have the 35" Baja Claw Radials (10" wide rims) on my H3....daily driver
The mfg. approved rim width range is: 8.5 - 11.... With 10" recommended...
I like them because they look good, make some noise, sling mud, and can create a water spray that is quite impressive.....
However, not everyone is a fan of Claws... For the very reasons cited above....

I ran the MTZs in that exact size for about two years, some street but mostly trail and they did great. I dropped them down to 10psi on an 8" rim and never popped a bead and I ride a lot of rocks. That being said they chunked a little in the rocks but nowhere near what my Xterrains or TSLs did. The are good in mud and rocks don't really get snow so can't say on that. If mine weren't off road only and my TSLs weren't such a steal, I'd still be running a set.

when you go off road what type of trailing do you plan on doing? down here in fl we run mainly into mud so we bought the procomp m/t's and I love them. little to no road noise over the motor, strong in the mud, and clean themselves pretty well. got a buddy my pops works with that had the mtz's I believe and he said he has no problems with em

After getting my steering system all lined up I went with BFG KM2 mudders. Thier road manners are great despite the deep lugs. Some may complain about raod noise but my 360's exhaust note covers it.

Another point with the claws is that they are unidirectional; this typically means they work GREAT going forward, but tend to easily loose traction if you need to back down. Also, the spare is set for one side only, and if you use it on the other side, you will loose traction as well...

I also run KM2's, and they are very civilized on road (for an MT), and do their stuff offroad, although I think the KM's were still better on mud (but, again, they howled like a WW2 bomber on the road, so it's all a trade off!).

HAH! If your KM2's seem loud to you, I once ran bias ply Buckshot Wide Mudders. Even with the Chevy 400 roar they were even more audible.

HAH! If your KM2's seem loud to you, I once ran bias ply Buckshot Wide Mudders. Even with the Chevy 400 roar they were even more audible.

KM's were loud< KM2's are about the same as an AT tire. And I know that KM's were quiet compared to boggers and such, but were too noisy for a DD (which is the point I was trying to make; that KM2's are perfect for a DD)

if you drive more on the streets, BF, Goodrich mud terrain, probably the best "aggressive" tread tire I have ever owned on a majority street driver.

if this is a trail specific rig, super swamper, something preferably from the TSL family.

I am not a fan of the thornbirds, boggers, truxus, and on the fence about iroks. and this is based on wheeling in the north east

I am not a fan of the thornbirds, boggers, truxus, and on the fence about iroks. and this is based on wheeling in the north east

Interesting; in the mud around here, there is nothing like the Boggers... All others end up with tire chains at one point or another to get some traction!

I had 35s 12.50 16r Micky mtzs and they were the best tires I've ever owned. Mud grapplers before that and let's just say I won't go back !

Back