tj rear end

gasonit

once again i would like to thank everyone for their input. Every question i post gets a whole bunch of great answers. I now have a question about my tj's rear end. I was hearing some 'bad' noises from the rear end, so me and my buds took the rear end down, and found that the differential gears were very worn. I bought a new set that includes the spider gears, and axle gears, and the shims that go behind the axle gears(its a trak-lok rear). I am having a hell of a time getting the gears back in the diff carriage unit. I have all the shims in place, and the axle gears in place. I was told by several different reliable sources that to put the spider gears back in place you simply roll the diff until they are seated, then replace the pin thru both of them. When I try to roll them in place the small shims that seat behind each spider gear do not fit behind the gears. Everything seems very, very tight in the diff. I have replaced everything just like it was but it just seems that the spider gears will not roll in place. Is there some secret to putting these spider gears in because it is a trak-lok rear end? Any questions or comments will be greatly appreciated.[addsig]

I feel for ya man....that's why most people take em to a shop to get em done.....if you dont get the ring and pinion set up just right, you'll be replacing your gears again pretty soon, i'd get someone who has experience setting up rear ends to help you, or better yet, take it to a shop....my two cents
Cory[addsig]

Back