To lock or not to lock

90Xjay

Illinois or South Dakota

After a recent off road trip, I really saw the need for lockers, at least in the rear for now. Have any of you had experiance with any of the "lunch box lockers" like Powertrax?

They make some pretty reliable products and are priced for a budget.
Since I run a stock 4.0 with 31's, this may be a low cost option for my Xj

RE: Camp Jeep..Poconos PA

I have the Lock Rights by Powertrax. I love them, and YES they click when you turn. I think it's cool. Also, you'll feel them chirp if you gas it on a turn, occasionally. But as far as performance goes on the street, they usually stay unengaged just as you want.

As for Off roading performance, it's easily the best mod I've done next to perhaps gears. It's close though. I don't like to wheel my TJ as much because it doesn't have lockers. It's that noticable.

What axle do you have? dana 35? It's cheap enough so that if you plan to upgrade, it's not a huge blow. And plus, you can recoup some of the cost on Ebay, assuming you don't blow them up of course. :wink:

Have you geared down? Lemme tell you, that makes ALL the difference!

RE: steel horse top yj

Mingez,
Right now and for the foreseeable future, I am running a stock Dana 35 rear and Dana 30 front.
So I think a choice like what you made is a good fit for me.

Whats up with the clicking noise? Is that normal? How noticable is it?

Never owned a Jeep. Tell me why I should buy one

clicking is normal on most lockers on the street. unless you really spent the money for ARB's or something like that.

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: National Anthem

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=58120

that's a helpful thread on the topic. read it, seems like a front locker is your best option because of the weakness of the d35 among other reasons. u can get an aussie or similar lunchbox locker for a bit over 200?

I would get a Detroit Trutrac or a No-Slip instead of an automatic locker. Mingez' happiness, I'm sure is genuine, but he lives in a drier climate than you and in the rain and snow you will not find the same satisfaction with an auto locker, specifically on a daily driver. Great traction but I wouldn't want to drive it for my daily commute.

Ideally a selectable locker like ARB or OX but that's a whole different price range ;)

It did snow 3 times this winter, but it is mild and does not last long. Besides, do you think that I am crazy enough to take my poor little XJ out in the bad weather??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, my rig is not a daily driver, just a weekend run around rig.
From the thread that was listed above, I don't feel much like doing anything to the rear Dana 35. I think I will elect to put in some sort of lunch box locker in the front instead.

some areas of the panhandle get 18 to 24 inches per year, but that is nothing compared to the ice storms, which are way worse because some morons actually think a 4X4 can give them "special" powers on a 2" sheet of ice.

RE: FOR SALE : MINT : (4)Brand New 15x10 Cragar Soft 8s

The dana 35 is always a bit of a downer. Weak link for many a jeep. But the lockright isn't THAT expensive. You're safer going with the front. But most put a selectable in the front (like Ox or ARB) and put the auto locker in the back.

The dana 35 is always a bit of a downer. Weak link for many a jeep

That seems to be the case..that is why most people I guess, don't want to add any more stress to the situtation and leave it alone.

'96 grand cherokee transmission swap

http://www.performanceoffroadcenter...37_38&osCsid=202a4344193f9c44483d30b19223ebb7

lockrite locker for a d30 for 209.... if is not your dd, go with the auto locker. yeah the auto locker will cause a bit more tire wear, but its 600 more for a selectable OX. 600 is a new set of tires.....

I had the same questions about the snow, living here in new england. I emailed a guy at the aussie locker place (www.aussielocker.com d30 auto locker for ~229) about a front-only locker application and what he thought abotu snow. he replied with the following:

"We do not recommend a front locker installation if you will be driving in 4WD on an icy highway. Other than that, the set up you describe is ideal because you do not have any handling issues with a front locker other than possibly a slight tightness in steering on tight turns. We live in upstate NY and we just wheel the daylights out of our rig in the spring, summer and fall, and for the winter yank out the locker and then reinstall in the spring."

I have driven in the snow with a locker equipt vehicle a number of times, although not Ideal, not all that bad, if you don't drive like a donkey, and keep speeds with in a moderate range, then you should be more than fine, as long as you don't Floor it and give the locker a reason to lock up, it won't. The only thing you will have to change in your driving style with a Auto locker in snow is when you make a sharp turn(like to pull into a drive way) you will have to come to a almost complete stop, then gradually take the turn, if not, you will go straight.This is only if you have a front locker, a rear locker will not really effect you snow driving what so ever.

As for the clicking, completely normal, Power traxs does not use clutches rather it is engaged by a series of cams, all you are hearing is the cams clicking.

After carefull consideration, I have formed a plan of action.

I have decided to NOT spend a dime on the Dana 35 rear.
I have also decided to not put a lunch box style locker in my front for the reasons listed.

I am now on the hunt for a wrecked donor jeep with a Dana 44, so I will have someting to build upon.

I know that many early XJs with the tow pack came with Dana 44' and the Commanche trucks with the metric 1/2 package also had them.

I know where several wrecked XJs are, and will find an axle soon, I am confident.

Does this make more sense??

RE: Best lift to get?

If you're having a tough time finding a D44 out of an XJ, maybe look for a Chrys 8.25 out of a newer XJ. It's good for 33's and a locker. Not as many choices though as they don't make as many to fit that rear, but they are out there.

Or maybe a Ford 8.8 out of an explorer?

RE: Master Cylinder Leaking

An 8.25 can come right out of a newer XJ, it will bolt right in and have the same 5 on 4.5 lugs. The '97-01 have the stronger 29 spline axles. The pre-97 axles had 27 splines.

The Ford 8.8 out of a '97 or newer explorer will also have 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern, but as a bonus it will have disc brakes :)

Both should be cheaper and easier to find than a D44

Depending on if you plan to re-gear or not, you can probably find the 8.25 with the same gear ratio that you have. I think the Fords are usually geared higher, but you may want to verify that.

RE: Re: RE: New wrenching injury!

If I recall, the newer 29 spline Cryco 8.25" axles are around 15% stronger than the dana 35, and fine for 33's as TC said. It's a good axle.
Just remember, you can't go higher (numerically) than a 4.56 gear ratio. So if you ever planned on installing 4.88's or better (which I did) than you'll be limited there.

Back