To Truss.....Or not to Truss????

PoliceMonkey161

Looking for opinions….. I just received (through some cleaver negotiations and trading) an original 1986 CJ7 Dana 44 rear from one of my buddies in the scrap/salvage business. It will need a tear down and rebuild including new spring perches, seals, bearings and exterior refinishing. Additionally, I’m going to re-gear it while doing the work.
I’ve rebuilt and trussed out a coupled of AMC 20’s with excellent results. So my question is, who feels that trussing the Dana 44 is an upgrade? Is it necessary? Not sure if I’ll keep this one or sale it, so will this increase the value?

If your going to sell it I would only do what is needed. Clean it up, rebuild it and let someone else worry about trussing it.

flatie46 said:
Just don't tell me you bought it for scrap steel price...especially if it's a 3:55 gear.

Sorry, I've been up in PA with little signal plus it's Apple Festival time! No, I did not get it at scrap steel prices, but I did trade a rebuilt D30 I just finished. I do plan to re-gear it, maybe more of a DD range if I keep it. Otherwise, it's up to the buyer........

Back