Trailer or Roof Rack

Habsfan124

New jeep owner...'04 Rubicon (TJ). Been hearing horror stories about people towing trailers behind jeeps....even light load (1000 lb) stories. I am open to opinions on whether trailers should be used with Wranglers. But unless I hear compelling stories that trailers are fine, I would like a roof rack to mostly haul camping gear. I would be using a soft top, so would probably be buying the racks with the support poles along each corner of the body. Was hoping I could remove the carrier portion when not in use....not sure if that option is available. My preferance is to hold up to 500 lbs and 72" by 54" max. Any ideas on make/model?

Last edited:

I have a yamaha ls2000 jet boat, about 20' long and about 3200 lbs. I've towed it to lake Isabella in kern county from Los Angeles through desert highway and up mountain grades. I've never encountered any "horror" stories on doing so. I have an LJ (TJ unlimited) rated up to 3500 lbs, a TJ I believe is rated up to 2500 lbs. As long as u drive within your and your rig's limitations you'll be fine

i have a 5x8 trailer i haul all the time. i have had it loaded down wrong a few times and had to drive below the speed limit so it didn't try to wag me all over hte road but if i load it properly, i never have any trouble. thats hauling bags of concrete or when i demolished a building and was hauling roofing to the dump, not light loads

A couple facts about a TJ.

2.5L is rated to tow 1000 lbs
4.0L is rated to tow 2000 lbs

The reason for it is the weight difference.
From what I have found online the biggest problem is stopping quickly.Most TJ only weigh around 4000 lbs.It is possible if towing a trailer and a sudden stop is needed that so much weight transferred onto the tongue that it will lift the front tires off the ground.If you looking at a small trailer to only haul 500 lbs I dont see any problems.Do remember though if your going camping can your trailer make it also?When I go camping it is usually off road some where.Roof racks have a down fall also.Raised center of gravity.I prefer either a rack that fits into the receiver or a rear tire carrier rack.

I have both - a 4x8 trailer and a Top5 roof rack. Have had them both almost as long as I've had the Jeep ('03 2.4L 4banger - bought new). I would be hard pressed to do without either one. I haul our kayaks, wood from Lowe's, luggage (in an auxillary rack I built out of aluminum tubing), and various other things on top of the rack. I haul trash, building supplies, lawn mowers, and various other things in the trailer (rated for 1000#). Never had any problems in 8 years, so I don't think you have a worry, either way. I also have the reciever cargo rack which I use ocassionally, but it really limits access to the rear of the vehicle (spare tire in the way!).
The Top5 roof rack mounts to the mirror brackets on the front and the frame on the rear. If I had it to do over, I would probably buy a different rack......Dave's rack always interested me. The Top5 attracted me because I can still lower and raise the softtop with the rack in place (although it is doable, it's definitely more difficult). Hope that helps some. Don't believe all those horror stories......alot of it is the driver.

if you can, put brakes on the trailer, even better. I've towed in the past with my jeep, usually nothing more than a motor cycle and small 4x8 trailer, never had an issue.

Thanks to all of you who responded. Obviously, there is a degree of caution when adding cargo to a jeep. I appreciate all your personal experiences, it does give me a well-rounded overview in order to make an informed decision on what to do. Overall, I think I need to minimize the camping gear I take....after all, what is the point of camping if you bring your house with you :)

Thanks again...will let you all know my experience.

Get a trailer with trailer brakes and you'll be fine. I've towed my 21' cuddy cabin and uhauls with my Jeep, and the only things I've worried about were stopping in time, and gusty winds on the interstate - when towing covered trailers it would tend to push my jeep around.

I've got an 8' Chevy bed box trailer that I've pulled with all my camping gear and a Yamaha quad (not sure of weight) and never had any problems.

Check out a spare tire carrier/cargo rack. I've also got a receiver rack that can hold all my camping gear for 3 people. Those are relatively inexpensive and can be removed easily when you don't need them. I've thought about the roof rack for a long time, but three things have kept me from buying one:

1. center of gravity is bad enough on my lifted rig.
2. I still like to park in the garage.
3. costs too much for the Garvin Ind. one that I'd like.

+1 on a roof rack.

A trailer will really impede your abilities when off road. My buddy took an old military trailer with him across the Rubicon a couple years ago - and getting it back onto it's wheels was a multiple times per day excercise. He swore "never again"

Just don't put all the heavy stuff up on the rack or you'll be so "top heavy" that it'll be really easy to flop onto your side in an off-camber situation. Ask me how I know - and reference Cadillac Hill coming out of Rubicon Springs - LOL

First of all, I've had both and employed each of them in a variety of settings from Washinton state with brief camping trips into the Cascades and daily trips to ski at Snoqualmie and Crystal Mountain, to 2,000 mile highway trips on the interstate, to Louisiana's swamps, to a week long trip along Texas's trails bordering the Rio Grande. The bottom line is that no matter how you slice it in a jeep, you'll always be underpowered, you'll never be able to stop as quickly as you like, and there'll never be enough room. Period. So why do we drive jeeps? If you have to ask, you'll never understand.

That being said, there are pros and cons of each. The empty roof rack howled in the wind like a scalded dog. Loaded with any amount of weight, it oscilated at highway speeds and made the center of gravity unpredictable when off road. The rack caught on trees and limbs all the time too. The mounted lights reflected off the snow, dust, or hood, making them virtually unusable while driving. But, they looked so cool! This is why Camel Trophy landrovers had a flat black hood and wires that stretched between the grill guard and the rack, to try to decrease the snaggage. Also, it's a pain to lift stuff that high and then crawl up on the rear tire to strap it all down securely. Also, you can't moniter your load when it's on the roof. Why did the rack work on a 110 defender or a Disco....because they're bigger vehicles, V8 powered, with better suspensions and brakes, etc. But it's light weight, you say, and doesn't affect highway speeds and your ability to speed up interstate hills! Well, it seemed to me that even with 4.10s and the 4L, there was enough wind resistance that it was still depressing getting passed by a geo metro with 6 clowns inside. But at least I wasn't a clown riding in a geo metro....

The trailer is heavey, decreases stopping distance, kills gas milage even further ( a problem if you're trying to minimize dependence on gas stations), and they can be expensive. However, you can now easily remove the jeep's soft top without unloading all your crap (one of the only benefits of a jeep over other off road, expedition equiped type vehicles). You can haul dirt and rocks and cement bags and a refrigerator in a trailer, and can't on a roof rack. It makes a handy platform for cooking, roof top tent, bikes, canoes, etc. You can add a water tank, extra battery. You can leave it for the day without breaking camp. Mine pulls nicely and exactly behind the jeep and uses the exact same wheels and tires, thus necessitating only one spare.

If your goal is long distance on-road travel, get a motorhome, you'll be happier. If your goal is long distance off-road travel, get a unimog. If your goal is short distance off road camping, get a lifted toyota tacoma. If your goal is short distance on-road travel camping get a minivan and pop up trailer. If you want to do short, off road trips in an affordable soft top type vehicle, lift a samuri and drive that. If all you want to do is hit the trailer, get a honda foreman or side-by-side and drive that. BUT....if you want to do it in a jeep, you'll need to make a decision.

Please tell us what you decide or decided and post a photo of your combo in action!

Attachments

• IMG_4680_400x310.shkl.jpg
    IMG_4680_400x310.shkl.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 2,785
  • 226.JPG
    226.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 9,760
Love the crack about the clowns. Appreciate all your insight.

Definitiely decided against the roof rack. Still looking for a trailer. I want it for the jeep, will keep the jeep, never ever will have a minivan....the jeep is it, it want it, I love it.

I think I found a used trailer that fits the bill, but the registration laws in Colorado are very stringent. Will take about one month to get it registered, but only if it passes Colorado State patrol inspection. Problem is that the appointments with them are a month out. So if the seller can wait, and everything passes, will get this trailer. It is something I can take off road for backcountry camping, but will also use it for campground camping. Won't take it too far from home...maybe a few hundred miles at most.

As soon as I get all this worked out, will send a pic to this thread. Your trailer is awasome, but it looks like the four figure cost...which I am not willing spend at this time (I know, you get what you pay for).

i always wondered if those roof racks howled on the highway. i have looked at a few that were local and super cheap (because the people bought the jeep with them on top and didn;t like them)

i always wondered if those roof racks howled on the highway............

Not a problem with mine.........although it does groan a bit when I load it up with lumber.:redface:

that is what mine would be used for mostly, hardware from lowes. i don't mind using the trailer but i think a roof rack looks cool.

Back