Transfer case fluid

jrodsair

Ones anyone know how to check the level of the transfer case fluid on a 1980 CJ 7?? It has the inline 6 with a four speed manual. It appears that mine is leaking, slow leak from the small back plate. Any suggestions or remedies??

it should have a plug to remove and then you put the tip of your finger into the hole and fluid should be right below the edge.

its a plug with a square deal, like you would put a ratchet into, if i remember right

Yes it is, I think its a 5/8 head. If your back cover is leaking, as mine was. take it off and put some rtv on it and it should be fine. Mines not leaking anymore since I did mine. As superj said, you should feel fluid just below the hole, if not fill it to that point. Fill it through the same hole.

69jeepcj said:
Yes it is, I think its a 5/8 head. If your back cover is leaking, as mine was. take it off and put some rtv on it and it should be fine. Mines not leaking anymore since I did mine. As superj said, you should feel fluid just below the hole, if not fill it to that point. Fill it through the same hole.

Thanks folks. It's worse than I thought. I pulled the plug and had nothing in it. Well just a glimpse. But I was noticing lots lot fluid and dirt build up and as I leaned on the drive shaft, the whole thing slid about 3/8 of an inch. Side ways!!! The long bolt with the rubber bushings that's sandwiched between the skid plate is stripped out and that seems to be the only thing that was holding it in place. I thought something sounded out of place when I hit a bump!!!! The 3 bolt holes that are in the skid plate don't line up with the ones in the transfer case mounting points. I need a fix. Looks like I got me a weekend project instead of finishing the roof on the garage. The garage will just have to wait!!!

That bolt is a torque arm bolt for the tcase. It holds the drivetrain stable as the torque is applied. The one on mine is almost shaped like a straightend out Z. I had a 79 or 78 cj7 that was missing that bolt and im pretty sure I just used a regular straight bolt to put in it. I have a 69 so maybe the bolts are different. If you need a bolt shaped like mine, that may be hard to come by. If you have a grinder with a cutoff wheel, just cut the bolt and replace. shouldn't be hard or time consumming. Are you saying your trans and tcase skidplate are not bolted to your frame?? How far off are the holes if so?? I have used large screwdrivers and long extensions to put through the skidplate hole and into the frame hole and pry to line them up enough to get one bolt in, then the same on the other side. Anyway for you to post a pic of what is not lining up?

Good morning, the skid plate is mounted. And the only thing holding t case is that bolt the is stripped. It also has a channel that keeps it in place from moving forward and aft. On the bottom of the t case on the forward side between the skip plate are three threaded holes and nothing it bolted to it. In sits on that channel and slide left and right.

I think you need a mount, either a tranmission mount or tcase mount. I don't remember the tcase having a mount so you probably need a trans mount. they are not too expensive (mayb $30) autozone or the likes should have it. Jack up your tcase and trans and bolt the mount in, it should bolt to the trans and the skid plate. Just put a new one in mine. I think mine was $16 at autozone. If you can post a pic of it, we could tell you for sure.

Back