Tuffy

STEW

Hi
Has anyone here fitted one of these Tuffy security consoles before. It looks like they bolt through the tunnel, but i can't see how you secure the nut from the underside, as the gearbox appears to be in the way?

Any suggestions?
ps it is the deluxe stereo model with drinks holder etc

cheers Stew:?|

Pretty good bit of room between the tunnel and the transmission. I've got tuffy's in two of my 3 Jeeps and they're attached with two bolts in the back and one in the front (all three are accessed inside the console). None of the bolts interfere with anything under the Jeeps.

Word of caution:

I had wanted to get some Tuffy products in my Jeep for a LOT of years and finally did it - I got the center console, glove box, and expand-a-trunk. The center console is great - no problems there so far.

The glove box rattles all the freaking time - I took it back to the shop that installed it and they pulled it out, checked everything, re-installed...and it still sounds like a can full of marbles as I drive down the street. My girlfriend hates riding in my Jeep because of the noise the glovebox makes - and I don't need to give her another reason to not want to climb into my rig! I have to drive around with it open to reduce the noise...but if someone is in the passenger seat I can't do that...some people just sit there and hold it tight it bugs them so much. :cry:

The Expand-a-trunk was great until the lock failed and my laptop was trapped inside and the shop had to break in for me because I had to get to a really important meeting for work and needed my laptop. So the door is creased/bent and the left side doesn't lock. Months later, the actual lock failed completely in the locked position. I can't even get into my trunk now - the lock is completely broken - so everything that is inside of it is completely inaccessible - locked in. :evil:

I have been trying to get all 3 products keyed to the same set of keys for months and months now and they keep sending the shop the wrong thing. :???:

They have been trying to get Tuffy to replace my glove box with one that doesn't make so much noise...and replace the door/lock on my expand-a-trunk...and they won't ship new ones out. This shop has done business with Tuffy for 30 years!!! Tuffy wants me to take it all out and mail it to them so they can "investigate" and get back to me. What the hell is there to investigate? They gave me faulty items - and a respected shop that did the installs is telling them that they are defective... At one point while discussing the glove box issue a Tuffy rep asked the rep from the shop if I had a lift...he said yes...and Tuffy rep said - well there is your problem...hahahaha Are you kidding me? My glove box rattles driving down the street because I have a lift? Anyway - this has been going back and forth for so long now between the two companies - I can't believe it. :(

I normally would not post something negative about a company like this - but I am at my absolute limit with them. I know I should take their defective products out, mail them to them, ask for my money back, and go buy someone's else's products...except they pretty much have the corner on the market here...and if they worked properly I would absolutely love these products and be a big advocate for them. I walk out of the grocery store, etc...and I always find people waiting for me so they can ask questions about my rig and the equipment I have installed...I would be a walking (or driving) billboard for Tuffy...but I can tell you they have already lost more potential business from me waving people away from them...if they just would have fixed this issue, I guarantee I would have had positive comments to lavish on their products and they would be ahead in profits - it would have paid for itself. :?|

Sorry for the hijack - I just can't believe a company like Tuffy that is the industry standard for Jeepers for security products would treat a customer this way - and treat a shop so poorly that has had a 30 year relationship with them. The shop says they won't carry their products anymore they are so ****ed off about this - another huge source of lost revenue - they are a chain and do a TON of business in SoCal. I just wanted to warn the community about the direction this company has taken (I don't know if they are under new management or something, because I don't ever remember hearing bad things about them in the past - but this customer service is so bad it is unreal!). :x I have driven Jeeps for almost 18 years - that whole time wanting Tuffy consoles and stuff...and I finally pull the trigger and invest and I am SO DISAPPOINTED. Rant over. I will keep you all posted if this ever gets resolved. I still hold a tiny bit of hope that they will wake up and do the right thing. Hell I would pay the shop for the labor to de-install and re-install these things if Tuffy would just send new ones out (even though I shouldn't have to...I just want this resolved). Does anyone have any contacts higher up in that company that could help make this right? :?|

Yes, the underside nut is right over the transfer case on mine. I cleaned a spot off on the tub and spot welded the nut in place b/c it was such a pita to get to.

got it in o.k, i used a self tapping bolt for the front bolt and a set of angle brackets on the back fixed to the bracket they supply. This has made the console sit better in the jeep, more level, and is amazingly secure, as it should be. I must confess that i left off the drinks holder as this seemed to get in the way fitted either at the front or the back.
Once it was all in i looked at the gap between the transmission and tunnel again and realise there's a lot more room there than i thought, but still prefer my installation method.

Cheers Stew:mrgreen:

I have the deluxe stereo console and two lock boxes with speaker grills on the fender wells. Love them both. The only issue that I have had is the nut on the lock assembly was backing off. I used some blue Loctite and that solved that problem. Ordered new lock & keys for the console so all three would be keyed alike. Didn't have any issues dealing with the company. All I had to do was send them a photocopy of the key with the key code showing as proof of ownership and so they had an accurate key code for the new lock. Took about a week to get the new lock and keys.

a set of angle brackets on the back fixed to the bracket they supply. This has made the console sit better in the jeep, more level,
Cheers Stew:mrgreen:

Pics or more detailed description please.
I've got a newer Tuffy in one Jeep that fits perfectly, and an older Tuffy in the other Jeep that sits really low and makes leaning on the armrest a bit less confortable than he newer one. I've thought about taking the older one out and modifying the braket on the back to raise it up a bit.

No photos of the installation as it happened but have attached a drawing showing the method

Attachments

• tuffy.JPG
    tuffy.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Back