Used Jeep Cherokees from the late 80's & early 90's?

DeadHammer

Ok, I'm thinking about getting another jeep and I am seeing alot of Cherokees in my area with inline 6 engines for real cheap, a couple of hundred bucks but they all say in the posting, wont pass emissions. I was wondering besides the obvious (tune up, cat, ect...) if worn valve guides are a common cause for not passing emissions, usually the posting also say smokes alot. Any thoughts anybody. By they way the mileage is around 150,00 to 180,00 (remember they are beaters and i'm not looking for anything fancy).

Last edited:

I have one $2800.firm its a 88 4 1/2 in lift new 33 in tires custom front /rear bumpers with 2 inch receivers roof rack with high jack frame stiffeners under steering box and steering box brace hood scoops rancho shocks paint 4 years old needs brake work runs great

Attachments

• s.jpg
    s.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 7,514
my kids both bought beater cherokees at one time or another. i'll tell you this ,they go through hell and back in stock form ! one was a 89 4.o and the other was a 91 ho 4.o . the only thing about older computerized cherokees is the immenent failure of one or more sensors etc. the 89 out lived the 91 due to costs of replacing each sensor trying to find the actual cause of overheating and no spark. jeep cost 200 and junk prices were 250 so off it went ! depends on your abilities i guess ?

Back