Value of this TJ?

joeylead

I have been looking to buy a TJ or YJ (prefer a TJ) to make into a weekend play vehicle, occational rockcrawler and beach runner (not high speed dune running). TJ's in my area (Long island NY) are pricey, typically around 6-8 k for a 97-2000 stocker. I found this: 1997, 111k, 5spd, 4.0, stock on 31" BFG AT's for 5500. Also has both hard and soft tops, full doors, good sound system, A/C, PIAA lights. So it go look at it. The body was in decent shape, interior pretty good. The engine felt strong and shifted well. Brakes were good. No leaks, the transmission, oil pan and t-case were spotless. A strong runner that left at that would be a good deal for the money. But these are the issues with it:

-needs shocks (not a big deal at all as I would replace them anyway)
-there is a frame repair behind on of the front lower control ams, a piece of 1/4 steel welded just behind the mounting pocket. The repair was done by the PO but it looked solid
-there is a drievtrain whine when coasting. My buddy said it was normal for a jeep, IDK though.
-Lastly and most importantly for me, it must have been used to tow a boat. There is an aftermarket hitch, it it totally rusted. the whole frame was repainted with probably a rattle can which makes it hard to determine how bad the rust is. The rear axle is pretty crusty looking. I tapped on the frame in few spots and it seemed solid, but since it was all sprayed w pain it is hard to determine how bad it really is. I could go back and really start tapping away at it with a hamer i guess.

So how much value would the frame rust take away? I dont think its worth 5k as it is though.

Last edited:

I wouldn't pay that for the condition...u'll have better luck if you wait till spring or summer. Right now is the season of inflated prices on 4x4's.

The repainted frame would scare me away. $5500 for a 1997, while not outrageous, is alot of money for that year, and I'd expect the Jeep to be very nice. The painted frame and patches make me think that the thing is pretty rusty.

The rusted axles are normal (as well as the driveshafts) - I don't know if the factory even tries to paint them.

A note about the patch - on my 2005 there is a bolt that holds the transmission skid plate on. The nut is inside the frame, and it welded on. The first time that I tried to remove the skid plate I noticed that the nut had broke the weld and spins freely. In order to remove the bolt I'll have to cut a whole in the frame. Depending on where the patch is, this could be the case for your prospective Jeep.

Back