VEX: Wiring Issue and Dead Battery

Robert_Stephens

Hi everybody,

First time I've ever posted like this with something I can't solve for some reason. Must be because I am 12 hours away from being 60. Ha...

Ok, put new battery in as I have on VEX over the last 20 years about 7 times, and lo, lasted one day and went dead. Can't find open or short. Baffled. Checked everything. Any ideas are most welcome. Also, finally got the last shuttle painting back from NASA and they want two others so am going to sell this one.

A 36"x60" oil on panel, of STS-135, Atlantis, last flight. Retails for $25k, asking $8k to move it.

Thank you everyone for your help,

Robert

Oh, forgot the image of the orbiter Atlantis. Sorry about that, here it is:

image-missing.png

anything pop when you pull each fuse? thats how i find shorts in a system. pull each fuse and listen as you remove and replace it. usually you can hear the little buzz of electricity if its in that fuses wires. then you at least have a starting point.

man, you get tons of money for those cool guy paintings. i usually can't give away my paintings

Many want to tear their eyeballs out after seeing mine "What has been seen cannot be unseen!" As for the battery, I'd say faulty out of the box. Check it's voltage. If it's 12.6, then check the cable didn't break inside as you changed the battery (I see that a lot on wheeled vehicles)

Bad ground or poor connection to the alternator?? Alternator hooked into the (-) and not the (+) terminal.

Did it go dead driving or sitting?

Check for blown fusable link in the wiring from the alternator to the bat. Bend the wire back and forth with your fingers working your way up to the bat, there will be a very soft spot in the wiring if the link it blown. It sounds pretty obvious your alt isn't charging the bat for some reason.

lift off the positive terminal on the battery, put your volt meter on ohms and read from the LEAD to the ground (no battery attached) ... if you read a short or close to it, start removing fuses until you get an open.. that will lead you to the culprit quickest.. (most of the time)...

Back