Vibration coming from under the hood.

mr.fitness350

I feel a vibration, in my steering wheel, coming from under my hood. I can hear a noise it makes too. It sounds the least bit like grinding, but more like a loud reverberating hum. I had the radiator and shroud replaces recently, and the shroud was too small, so the fan would hit it and make a sound. I zip tied it back away from the fan so it couldn't hit it. But I could still hear a sound, and assumed the zip ties didn't hold. Recently I figured the sound isn't the same as the fan on the shroud. Any suggestions? I'm thinking it either needs a tune up or a new belt. I was also told I have a rough idle, and have been putting fuel system cleaner and octane booster in the gas tank for that.

What year and type of Jeep are we talking about?

Did this sound start when you had the radiator replaced?

check your steering fluid level, that should be ot the only thing that omits a noise or vibration. What year/model are we talking about?

It's a 1999 Grand Cherokee V8. And no, I noticed the noise long after replacing the radiator. At first I thought it was the fan on the shroud (which was replaced at the same time as the radiator), but after a while I noticed it didn't sound the same as the fan on the shroud. I'm thinking it needs a tune up or a new belt.

The fan may have been damaged by hitting the shroud and now it's off balance. Remove the fan temporarily and see if the noise/vibe goes away. (no longer than 10 minutes running!)

Back