Wagoneer running hot

keith

Okay, I have had wagoneers before, and never had a problem with overheating or running hot, until I got my current ride. From what I read about it, it seems that well, they just run hot. My one choice for the culprit of mine running hot(210 to just under red, at rest, until vehicle moved or turned on the heat.) For the last year, it ran hot, but could not find a leak visibly, except for around the bottle. So, I was going to change that out, right? So yesterday, I noticed at a red light, slight smoke coming from the front driver side. Ohhh, blow-by, I said, having had that happen. It was just a whisp of smoke, and a slight quiet hiss, when I turned it off. Again, no leaking found, until today I drive in, same thing, except now I see a stream of antifreeze out at the bottom. I figured maybe the water pump, from what I could see without a light there. There was also this broken metal strap which I had to break off, because it was in the fans way. I drive over to the shop, and it turns out to be the rad is bad. Okay, now when he showed me the rad that was in it, I wass like HOLY SH--T! There were hardly any fins left. I did see some damage when I first looked, but nothing like this. It's funny now, I have to say, for this vehicle to run like that for so long, with such a bad rad, these jeeps are really tough! So, tomorrow, I give the mechanic about $240 something, and I bet it will run cooler. I wish I had a pic of the old rad to show you folks. My first jeep was wrecked in the front. got new transcooler and rad, and drove it 1,300 miles, and it never got NEAR 180 degrees. As a matter of fact, the temperature guage read only around the first notch. I got 54 mpg, it ran so cool. I guess it helped that the front clip was gone, and the rad was exposed. But, it was too much work for me at the time to fix it up for inspection, I got a second one, instead. Hey, maybe with the new rad, I can get my mileage back to 54 mpg's!!;)

54 mpg? does it mean 54 miles per gallon?
What engine is it?

Back