Way to determine exactly what year a factory hard tops is?

Oldchief

I bought a used factory hard top a couple of days ago for my '05 TJ. Managed to break the back glass while trying to re-install it this afternoon. I was told by the seller hard top was a '97 but he wasn't positive. I know these hard tops fit '97 thru '06 Wrangler TJ's. It fit my TJ perfectly, so it has to be in that year range. But, there are differences in the rear lift gate glasses. Ones I see on e-Bay and other places that say they are for '97 thru '02' TJ's but the pic's they show don't look like the one I broke, which had only 4 holes; 2 for the hinges at top (right hinge mounts to wiper motor assembly) and 2 holes for the 'mini shock absorber' supports for the glass. All pic's I've seen show 6 holes and that's what a local auto glass dealer showed on his computer. So, is there a way to tell, like a model number somewhere that will show exactly what year this top may be? Thanks!

97-02 had vents behind the side glass
03-06 the vent went to the tailgate...
I'm pretty sure the pictured don't depict the actual part.
Here's my 99 top you can see the vent behind the vent

photobucket62901329826201330-1.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Jeepz

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification. Mine has the side vents just like your's, so that narrows it down. I figured the pic's shown in ads were not the exact item as they appear to be the same pic for all year ranges. I'll get one ordered today. Thanks again!

Yeah, 03 to 06 no vents behind the side glass windows. Now, I believe the rear wiper wiring plug (at left rear) is different for 97-02, vs 03-06.

Back