What axles should i use?

dano12771

Trying to figure what axles I should use? Have a stock 1985 cj7 w/i4. Plan on upgrading to a v8 and would like to run 35-38" tires. Just would like to to know my options for axles and what to find them in. Thanks for reading.

dano12771 said:
Trying to figure what axles I should use? Have a stock 1985 cj7 w/i4. Plan on upgrading to a v8 and would like to run 35-38" tires. Just would like to to know my options for axles and what to find them in. Thanks for reading.

60s

i have an 81 cj7 with a 383 stroker and i have 38's on it i still run the amc 20 and the dana 30 they r built tho crhmo shafts onepice with lockers

83-cj-7=383-stroker said:
i have an 81 cj7 with a 383 stroker and i have 38's on it i still run the amc 20 and the dana 30 they r built tho crhmo shafts onepice with lockers

What gear set up and what/how much offloading do u do?

i offroad alot the last 16,000 miles are allmost all offroad i have 4.88 gears th350 with shift kit and a 2200-2500rpm stall converter from b & m and my tires are 38x12.50x15 super swamper tsl's

i offroad alot the last 16,000 miles are allmost all offroad i have 4.88 gears th350 with shift kit and a 2200-2500rpm stall converter from b & m and my tires are 38x12.50x15 super swamper tsl's

Sounds like the perfect set up. I was planing on keeping the d30 frt and throwing in a ford 8.8 in the rear. Was getting mixed opinions on the size of tires I could use w/this set up, but if your running 38s I think after a chromoly axle upgrades for both axles w/4.10 gears would work. What do u think.

my set up has been working pretty good for me but i have heard mixed opions from other ppl allso but a built amc 20 is just as strong if not better then a d44 and i have read alot about this and i have been running this set up for 10 years so something has ta be working lol

Last edited:
my set up has been working pretty good for me but i have heard mixed opions from other ppl allso but a built amc 20 is just as strong if not better then a d44 and i have read alot about this and i have been running this set up for 10 years so something has ta be working lol

Yeah I've heard the same thing. One down fall w/ the 20 I've read are the thin tubes and the tubes spinning in the diff. Have you heard anything on the 8.8? I've read they are actually stronger then the 44s.

dano12771 said:
Yeah I've heard the same thing. One down fall w/ the 20 I've read are the thin tubes and the tubes spinning in the diff. Have you heard anything on the 8.8? I've read they are actually stronger then the 44s.

The thirty built will handle it the 8.8 is good upgrade the tubes will spin just weld them plus you get discs and superior makes a supet 88 kit thats nice

Jeepkid46 said:
The thirty built will handle it the 8.8 is good upgrade the tubes will spin just weld them plus you get discs and superior makes a supet 88 kit thats nice

Yeah I read up on the super 8.8 kit seems like a fair price. Plus it adds width. If I run a 4.1 gear now and upgrade to the super 8.8, can I chg the gears later w/out affecting the new axle shafts? I'm def leaning toward 38" tires how much lift will I need? Will soa give me enough for that size tire?

im acctuallly going ta do a spring over in the spring time and take out part of the lift i have now and see how that works out
im hopeing for good results

im acctuallly going ta do a spring over in the spring time and take out part of the lift i have now and see how that works out
im hopeing for good results

I believe you'll get around 4-4-1/2" of lift w/a soa. Any thoughts on my axle kit upgrade/gear question?

dano12771 said:
I believe you'll get around 4-4-1/2" of lift w/a soa. Any thoughts on my axle kit upgrade/gear question?

My buddy just did an SOA on his YJ on stock springs and got 6 1/2 inches

Thanks for the info. Very helpful. This may sound like a silly question but, do I need to run the same gear in the front axle as in the rear axle? Sorry if this sounds like a elementary question but, I'm a little new to this type of swap. I plan on getting my ford 8.8 w/in the next week and half if I can get a day off from work. I'm tracking the axle down on car parts .com. Just want to make sure I get the right gear set up. :???:

I know it was a silly question. Thanks for answering anyways. I'm on the hunt right now for my ford 8.8. I let u guys know as soon as I get. Thanks again ;)

Back