What transmission do I have?

sjo426

I have an 80 CJ7 that is a rust bucket. It has the 258 6 cyl and a 4 spd. Does anyone know offhand what model 4 spd and T-case is under it?
Or will I have to crawl under there and find some numbers? If it is a T176/D300 I am considering swapping them for my T150/D20 in my 78 CJ7 with 304.
Thanks

I have seen different things on the 80's and I think I remember reading somewhere that in this year, two trannies were used. It is either the SR-4 or the T-176. A real easy way to tell is by taking off the cover on the transmission hump from the inside. The shifter housings are different for these trannies and you can cross-reference with your chilton to figure it out. It does have the D300 though, which an awesome T-case. I know I had to do this, I thought for the longest time that I had the SR-4 because that is what I had read and then when I tried to take it apart, the digrams didnt match. I may be wrong, hope someone else who knows a little better replies.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Suggestions...

Well based on what you guys have said and taking the cover off the transmission hump in the interior I am pretty sure I have the SR4. I assume this isn't as desirable as the T176. I do have another option but again I need some help identifying another transmission. About 6 years ago I was in the middle of putting a 327 V8 in my 84 CJ7. Since me and my dad were machinists at the time we made an adapter plate for the T5 transmission as I was just going to use it until it gave up. Well when we had everything apart we opened up the transmission and my dad decided it wasn't in good shape. Now I don' know how bright this decision was but since we already had the adapter plate I bought a brand new transmission. I can't remember exactly what it is but it has the T5 bell housing bolt pattern and bolts up to my Dana 300. I do remeber something about it being a World Class T5. All I can find on the transmission (it is still bolted up to the Chevy motor under the jeep) is....Borg Warner Automotive and this number....13-52-066-934. I can't remeber where I bought it other than I had it shipped in. Any help would be great. Thanks!!

Back