What Winch To Buy ?

dennyray

Hello i have a 2002 jeep wrangler that me and the family are building togeather ,looking to install a winch ,we don't do a lot of off roading just week end mud riding in cut over fields,no rocks,trees just mud ,don't really need one ,mainly for the look ,this jeep will be a driver / show jeep for us to play with in local clubs ,something to do . i cant figure out what size or brand ,i don't wount a cheapone. something with a good name and warranty ,and resale with a good rep.for strenth. Thanks for your input.

I am currently abusing a warn m8000 well beyond what my other two would take. It was affordable but the quality was good fast line speed etc. I have an xp9.5 on my tow rig that has pulled my truck and 10000 lb holiday trailer out of a few situations. I wheel with a few guys with the m 8000 and they've been on there rigs for 8-10 years and work great with just maintanance. One guy In my group swears by smitty built but it is slow and he replaces it every year or so. So I can't attest to reliability on that one.

Love my Warn, also a M8000. You want at least a 8k and like he said the smittybuilt is cheap, slow and if you're lucky like my brother, you have to hold it engauged or else it pops out which isn't exactly safe. Superwinch seem to work pretty good as well. Milemarker makes the smittybuilts seem fast and the brakes wear fast.

i have a champion, from tractor supply. its a 4500 pounder. it looks cool and even moves everything i have used it for, especially for being the smallest winch on the forum. i don't do off-roading or anything though because there is none where i live so maybe someday, i will have to pull someone out of hte ditch across the street from my house but for now, it works good on pulling down trees and junk in the yards.

If you are getting it for looks find the cheapest one that looks nice. No point in spending lots of money on a good one that isn't going to get used. A cheap one will hold up for a few pulls and if you rarely plan on using it that could be all the winching you'll ever do. Cheap meaning not warn or superwinch.

superj. I'm looking at a picture of your jeep you posted and don't see a winch so I'm guessing you have a portable one. Are they as handy as people say? Or do you wish you had a mounted one?

flatie46 said:
I've got a Bellview. It's who Warn bought to be Warn. I've not used it yet, looks cool though!:)

Be careful with that guy. I seen a guy get run over by his jeep as it has the manual brake and only powers in. He let go of the button with out engaging the brake. And it free spooled down the hill with him hanging on to his door.

20111231101046_CorpusChristi_Texas_US-1.jpg

Be careful with that guy. I seen a guy get run over by his jeep as it has the manual brake and only powers in. He let go of the button with out engaging the brake. And it free spooled down the hill with him hanging on to his door.
Now that would suck! I've not checked into it but I had wondered if I could retrofit a coil operated brake from a 3 phase motor. We chuck one every now and then at work. Have it where when the voltage to pull is applied the brake drops out, otherwise the brake is on. Thanks for the warning though.

Thank's i'll stay with the warn .i like warn just needed to get input ,thaks to you all for your input.there's so much on the market now ,never know.

Superwinch.

I have a mile marker 10,000 on my pickup, and had a warn 9.5ti on my jeep. the warn died a misserable death and has since been replaced with a Smitty Built cheap-O winch that I bought for $50 and had on my trailer, that wil be replaced with a superwinch EPI 9000.

I will never buy another warn winch ever again. their customer service is a joke, they do not honor the warranty, parts are extremely over priced. Most importantly, more and more warn products are getting outsourced to China.

All superwinch winches (except the cheap ones) are made in USA (CT) and having taken apart a plethora of warn winches to fix internal issues, then seeing the internals of the superwinch during factory tours, superwinch is a far better winch.

I just replaced the motor and gearset on an epi 9000 and the parts were 3 times as much as the warns from my canadian suppliers. And it only lasted 5 little pulls. They wouldn't even return my calls

The Smitty-Bilt XRC 8000 is what I use. Use for the occasional self rescue and a bit of cordwood recovery as well. Not the fastest but not the most expensive either. I got free shipping when I bought it too. An 8000lb winch should be more than sufficient to get you out of a jamb and better with the proper rigging. A snatch block can help from over loading the motor. Its like anything else if it is taken care of and used properly it should provide you years of service without stripping your wallet dry! It'll give you a few extra bucks for something else to bolt onto your Jeep that looks cool!

Just bought a smitty -built off a wrecked truck at a salvage yard,for 150 bucks look to be maybe two years old ..man did i get lucky ,i almost orderd a warn on line ,but could not see that money there not being used,i just used it on outher cool stuff.man my kids love this jeep,it's our project togeather ,and the kids are learning mechanics.

That might have to do with you benig in canada, cost wise but I've never had trouble contacting superwinch, I've done the factory tour several times. shoot me your info, I know some people to forward it.

Lol everything is harder to do when u live in Canada lol. Get parts warrantied I don't even try as shipping usually costs more to send it back and forth than the price of the part lol.

Back