Wheel Bearing Question??

warrior

I have a 72CJ5 and I am having problems getting to the wheel bearings. It has Warn lockouts, and I took the bolts out of the lockout, pulled it off, then took the snap ring off, pulled the spacer behind the lockout and of course the roller bearings fell out. There was another split ring, so I pulled it off. My question is how to get to the wheel bearings? I cant even see the lock nut. I have done alot of wheel bearings before but never seen anything like this. It has a dana 30 on the front. What am I missing? I have two books for it and neither one shows a good enough detail pic of how it comes apart. So before I break something, I come to you guys, the pros. Someone let me know what I need to do to get to the wheel bearings.
Thanks
Warrior

You should have it if I am correct from your discription. You need to remove the hub from the spindle. Take a dead blow hammer and beat the snot out of it (The end of the hub) at 12,6,3,9 o'clock strikes. It will slowly rock itself off and the rear bearing will be hanging out inside of the rear bearing seal.

Good luck.

Herculiner!!!!

Was wondering if you ever got an answer or figured it out. I've got the same problem ...

I just bought a 74 CJ5 258 w/drum brakes (my first jeep) and I'm trying to go through it and perform all routine maintenance.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove the front wheel bearing to repack them.

I have 3 different repair manuals (Clymers, Chiltons, and Haynes), and none of them show a diagram that matches what I have.

From what I can tell, it's a Dana (30?) axle (looks very similar to the Dana axle I have on my 3/4 ton GMC) with a Warn manually locking hub.

When I remove the hub, the first thing I get to looks like a washer with a screw driver sized slot in it. I can't figure out how to remove that thing. I've tried tapping on it in both directions (left/right) and it doesn't move. Behind it is some type of bearing (with four small round holes in it) and behind that is the lock nut.

Back