Wheel Question

southtj

I haven't noticed anyone here with 16 inch wheels. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to getting a 16 inch wheel with 32in tires as opposed to 15in wheels also with 32s. I've noticed that the Rubicon comes with 16s.

Right now I have the factory 15x8s and just checking out my options.

i dont know any real plus or minus other than bigger brakes are possible w/ 16", but there a fewer tire sizes, and most are metric

Anyone else have any thoughts?

I would think that with 16s, it would handle a little better on road as the tires would have a lower profile.

89 yj to cj front conversion

I just went to Tirerack.com and did a search on M/Ts that were 31X10.50x16 and 32x11.50x16 and got a response that there are none. Tirerack carries MANY tire brands and sizes. I think this would tell you that 16 may not be the best choice. Then again I went through the tire listings and found the metric sizes. They are availible but Limited and most are 16.5.

Less tire selection than the 15" flavor. Better onroad handling due to the shorter sidewall compared to the same height tire on a 16" rim, but it's a jeep so who cares. The tire will have less sidewall to cushion and protect the rim when offroad and aired down. On the same note, the tire's footprint will not be as large when aired down. Stick with 15".

Good points. Thanks guys. I saw that the Rubicon has LT245/75R16 MT/Rs and wondered if there were any advantages. Sounds like 15s would be better.

Back