Wheel Spacers

sjo426

I have a 78 CJ7. Looking to get some wheel spacers. Is there a big difference between 1 inch, 1.25 inch, and 1.5 inch thickness? Thanks!

About 1/2 inch.........LOL..LOL........I got a pair of 1.25" I'll sell, Brand New never used 5x5.5....45.00 + S/H

I understand the difference is size. I meant does .25 and .5 really make that big of a difference overall. How much effect on the ride does a 1 inch spacer have compared to a 1.5 inch spacer. thanks.

c'mon... you kinda set yourself up for this one! sorry i dont have any constructive input but coudn't resist chiming in! ;o)

honestly tho - since you seem to be online... you want to consider the same problems that are encountered with extreme offset rims (like the little cars with the wheels sticking out...) - as you pass the centerline of the wheel/tire farther from the pivot.. the tire wants to pass an arc rather than pivot... you can visualize this and the affect it will have on driving - not so much straight line but turning and slow speed manuvering (sp?) - plus theres another stress point having more components and unsprung weight (weight which is not supported by the suspension which affects handling)... okay .. .kind of rambling but had to try to make up for my BS post...

also, i have a problem with them staying....so just use A LOT of thread locker RED on the bolts...

Can anybody else chime in on whether they have problems with them staying on or not? I have heard people say that they will come off, but besides jakbob, rarely from experience. I want to get some for my CJ, but I don't want to lose a wheel on the highway, and I don't want to have to take my tires off every couple hundred miles to check!

well i didnt really have a problem with them...just when you unbolt them, you need to apply more threadlocker..otherwise i have had no problems what so ever...they are great...

I used 1/4 inch spacers on mine till I got the new wheels and didn't have any problems with the lugs coming loose. I did check them every 100 miles or so, but none of them were ever loose. I found after I got my new wheels put on that one of the spacers had cracked clear through on one side and almost all the way through on the other side...don't know what that would have done if it had cracked all the way......

Unless someone can come up with a better answer, I'm going to speculate that any problem with them coming loose would be the same reason a new wheel can come loose...

Not remembering to re-torque the lugnuts after a short while (100 miles or so). Just as with a set of new wheels it only makes sense that spacers need to be checked.

Sorry for the earlier sarcasm... it was too easy.

Your 78 model has the narrow track axles. You always have the option of swapping on some wide track axles from a 1980 (or is it 82?) and up CJ. They are a direct bolt in. If you can find some that were under a 4 cylinder, they will have 4.10 gears.

Go with a good, brand name company and use some type of thread locker and you should be fine. Just check them everyonce in a while like twistedcopper said.

Back