Where did the name "Jeep" come from?

antsinmypants

RE: Welding D30

Where did the name "Jeep" come from?

I don't think anyone really knows where the name Jeep came from, but one of the more popular theories claims that our favorite vehicle was named after Eugene the Jeep. Who the heck is Eugene, you ask? Eugene was a character out of the comic strip Popeye, created by Elzie Crisler Segar. Eugene was a small, impish, 4 dimensional character that lived in a 3 dimensional world. As such, he was not constrained to the world we know - he could do wonderous things like walk through walls, walk on ceilings, appear out of nowhere. In short, he could go pretty much anywhere he wanted. Eugene the Jeep appeared in Popeye in 1936 - about 4 years before the US Army started testing its new 1/4 ton utility vehicle - which would eventually be called the Jeep. No one really knows WHY this new vehicle was called a Jeep, but one theory has it that Popeye was an extremely popular comic strip at the time and the soldiers were so impressed with the new vehicle's go-anywhere, do-anything capabilities, they were reminded of Eugene's character; and so dubbed the new vehicle a "Jeep".

image-missing.png

*jeep jeep*

www.webejeepin.com

Re: RE: the wave

:shock:

Story works for me. great research!

RE: Re: RE: the wave

Or GP (general purpose vehicle) but I have heard the eugene the jeep creature that can go anywhere. I think it came from the eugene guy.

more messing around

Another theory is GP for general purpose. When said quickly, "GP" sounds like "Jeep." Also I heard somewhere that it is code for the wheelbase or something. Eugene the Jeep is interesting, though!

The first Jeeps were built by 3 companies: Bantam (Model - 40 BRC), Willys-Overland (Model - MA), and Ford (Model - GP). The Army called the three vehicles "General Purpose truck, 1/4 ton, 4x4". It was quickly labeled by the soldiers... Jeep. Whether it was from GP, Eugene, or most likely a combination of the two, we can only speculate but it was no doubt dubbed the "Jeep" by our servicemen.

Willys later copyrighted the name and in 1945 built the CJ2A, advertising it as a Jeep.

That's the straight dope.

RE: Arrrrgh!

Nope, you're all wrong.

The word "Jeep" was MY invention......

........ along with the question mark.

RE: Re: RE: I pulled the trigger on antsinmypants

What about all those "CJ" "TJ" "XJ" "DJ" and "YJ"? I know cj stands for civilian jeep and mj is for military jeep, but what about the others? Where did they come from?

RE: Ripping interior

You know its funny, I was watching mail call on the history channel about oooo id say.............. a year ago and sure enough Mr r lee had the same question. And he too came to the conclusion that its either GP or eugene. My guess is GP becuase what 19+ year old newly inlisted soilder would read the popyeye comic strip. I remember watching that cartoon when i was like 5...... then soon lost intrest.

GaryMB said:
What about all those "CJ" "TJ" "XJ" "DJ" and "YJ"? I know cj stands for civilian jeep and mj is for military jeep, but what about the others? Where did they come from?

um if im correct the MJ is the comanchee.

RE: Stock XJ Owners...

Snitty said:
ThunderJEEP said:
My guess is GP becuase what 19+ year old newly inlisted soilder would read the popyeye comic strip.

Many many many would
True, there was not as much entertainment back then, and many adults read comics, both the books and the strips in the paper. I would venture to say that a GI would read just about anything he could get his hands on because of lack of reading material.

Back