Who's Herculined? Need help!

Jeeper84

The time has come where, Mike, the college student has actually gotten some money that he can have fun with! hahaha. I want to Herculine the interior of my YJ, but I don't know how much to cover...how high do I go? I also want to herculine my wheel wells and flares...has anyone ever seen herculined flares? Thanks -Mike
image-missing.png
[addsig]

What does "Herculine" mean? What does that do for your jeep?[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>What does "Herculine" mean? What does that do for your jeep?</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

You know what Rhino Lining or Line-X is? Herculine is a cheaper roll on version of it

If your going to do it spend the extra cash and have it line-x'd.... I will attempt to dig up some pictures of my 97 TJ that I had done... I did the tub, bars and l wheel wells. If you insist on using the roll on, I wouldn't mess with the wells to much.[addsig]

Mike-I have used herculiner on the inside of my YJ. I would advise to plan on using a full weekend to install herculiner. When I did mine I took everything out of the inside of my jeep and vacuumed and hosed out the inside of the tub. The depending on how much surface rust you have plan on somewhere between 5-10 hours to prep the inside. Don't cut yourseld short on the prep it will make a world of difference. Then I started on the passenger side floor board and cut in the area with the brush and then rolled out everything I could get to with the roller. I then did the back and then the driver side floorboard. Don't be affraid to use the herculiner I used plenty of it and still had almost a third of the gallon left. If your are willing to put in the work it will turn out just as good as a sprayed in liner. Hope this helps you out if you have anymore questions just ask Evan
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I agree with Jeeper89. Coincidentally, I have an 89 YJ which I Herculined last month. The preparation is 90% of the job. Like J89 said, do not sell yourself short on the prep. If you don't have a compressor, stock up on sandpaper, wire brushes, and a 25 pack of latex gloves... these are priceless, but only about $3.00 from Home Depot. If you do have a compressor, get a die grinder and a brush wheel attachment, this will make the rust disappear much faster. I used the die grinder on my floor boards where heavy rust was, then med-fine sand paper on light rust, and then the scuff pad on my good paint. Oh, yeah, get an extra brush and a gallon of Acetone or Xylene. I used Acetone, because it dries faster.

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS ALL THE WAY THRU BEFORE YOU START!

You don't want to get half way thru only to realize you screwed up or have a step to do and don't have the items.

I went all the way up the body tub walls, all 5 inches, I did the tail gate, too. On my roll cage, I unzipped the pads, and then taped off about 3 inches higher than where the pads come down, and herculined it to that point. That way, when I put the pads back down, you can't tell how high the herculiner goes. I went up the fire wall to about 3 or 4 inches away from electical stuff. I didn't do the flares or wheel wells. I didn't think it looked that good when I saw it on another YJ. Get plenty of masking tape and tape off everything. I spent 9 hours of prep time and removed everything. I put on a coat that night after the prep, and then put on a second heavy coat the next morning. Be liberal with the stuff, you will have extra. Finally, I let it dry in my garage, while I went on vacation, so I don't really know how long it took to dry. It's a very painstaking task, but you will pat yourself on the back when it's all done. So will your friends. My wife said it looks like I took 5 years off my Jeep's age.

image-missing.png
[addsig]

Mike - I've Herculined - Though I can't say that I'd do it again. I did all the prep work right and I installed it up to the firewall and just under the lip of the rest of the tub. The Herculiner is okay. It went on easy enough, but it's thin (even though I spread it on thick), sticky (seems like it never fully dried) and it smells (I live where its cold and I leave the hardtop on most of the time). If I were to do it all over again, I'd go with Line-X. A friend from work did it on his Scout and it is seamingly bullet proof. Plus its thick, not sticky and it doesn't smell! Also, not sure I'd do the wheel wells and flares. I'd probably just by new flares. -Rick

[addsig]

Back