wind noise

colonialliberty

I get a lot of wind noise around the windshield of my newish Liberty. Does anyone else have this prob. and/or know how to fix it?[addsig]

Welcome to the Jeepz board!
newish Liberty

That is the problem! Dont get me wrong I want to help you and so do many other jeepers here. It is just that most of us have very little or no knowledge for the Liberty. Good luck and don't give up some one with a Liberty will soon be here to save the day. Again welcome to the deal here! tug[addsig]

The best way to get rid of unwanted noises in a Jeep is to leave the spouse home. OK so I´m not funny.
I traced down a loud wind noise on my XJ to the roof rack, thought it was the moulding on the windshield, but turned out to be a rubber trim on the roof rack. Worth a check. One way to try and hunt down unwanted noise is with hundred mile an hour tape, changes the air flow a little, when the noise goes away, you know you´ve found the problem. On hot days, tape leaves a film, that is hard to remove, so some caution is advizable.[addsig]

It sounds to my like the seal around the windshield. Is it coming from the top or bottom of the windshield. If its the top MudderChuck could be right if not check the seal.- Chris[addsig]

Thanks for the replies and wellcomes. The noise seems to change/ get less when I actually press out against the top left corner of the windshield. The roof rack does make a lot of noise --I have Thule crossbars with bike mounts--but this is different. So should I use duct tape or something to try to seal out the noise? On the inside or the outside?

Thanks Again :) [addsig]

I had a kind of high pitched whistle. Which turned out to be a slightly loose piece of molding around the windshield. Which I glued into place and stopped most of the sound. Ridding around with my head out the window, was getting old, so I put a yard peice of tape on the outside border of the windshield (rubber/molding) just to localize the problem. Most of the sound went away, when the tape was over, the outside of the trouble spot.
I don´t really know which type of windshield mounting system you have. If it´s the rubber type, an experienced windshield installer can often, hit it in just the right spot, with a rubber hammer and reseat the winshield and rubber. Wouldn´t want to try it myself.
Many of the newer type windsheilds are glued in, and warrantied.
Had another howl, which turned out to be a plastic/plug in the roof rack, which was covering an unused slot. The plug fell out, of one cross piece, and was really loud.
Finding sounds, windnoise, rattles and whistles can often be a lot of trouble. I´ve found they are rarely coming from where, you think they are coming from.
Being able to push the corner of the windshield and changing the sound, could be vibration related or could be a faulty windshield seal (which might leak in the rain). Gluing windshield seals has rarley worked well for me.
Duct tpae isn´t a permenant fix, just a help, in narrowing down the location of the problem.[addsig]

I wouldn't want to do the hammer trick either This winter during (after) an ice storm, I caught my neighbor tapping his windshield with a hammer to crack the ice. He said someone told him it was the best way to clean your car. Some friend! You mentioned vibration, and when I pressed on the windshield like I said, I could feel a vibration. I think there may be a piece of trim that is moving around in the wind also.[addsig]

Back