Windshield frame modifications or disaster in the making?

1984potato

Hello all,

Long time lurker, first time post.

Question? How many bolts are really needed to hold the windshield on the front of my '92 YJ?

The bolts holding the front windshield hinge in place are/were rusted solid. I used several methods to safely remove them and finished releasing the bolts with an angle grinder and a big hammer. Needles to say, I now have a small hole on the inside of the windshield frame (angle grinder) to get to the brackets I busted and ended up using washers instead of the bracket to hold the hinge to the windshield. Have I totally messed up the structural integrity of this thing because I cut into the inside of the frame or "No Worries?"

Reality: I have a 92 YJ that is loaded to the moon with chrome and I am in the process of taking it all off and getting back to basics. Is it me or is every bolt rusted solid and any form of removing them just not working? I patiently used PB Blaster and heat for two weeks on the windshield hinge only to snap the torx head, ground flat, cut slit for screwdriver, PB Blaster and heat for another week, busted knuckles, broke off bolt, ground flat, drilled out center, EZ-Out snapped in hole, finally resorted to blasting with large hammer, broke everything off and tried to get to where I could put fasteners back on to the body and windshield frame. There was no way to just back the bolts out and put new ones in so I had to cut a fairly large hole on the inside of the windshield frame (through the sheet metal and the thicker frame material beneath). Now I am worried that I have messed up the strength of this otherwise crappy machine.

Travis.

If you have access to a Mig Welder and the skill to weld sheet metal without blowing holes in it, you can fix that frame. Use a 1 inch angle iron cut to size needed to replace the section damaged. line up the windshield frame hinge holes to the angle iron so that when the angle iron is welded on the windshield frame the holes will line up for the bolts like it used to be. drill the holes before welding. with the use of a cutting wheel on the angle grinder, cut the section of the windshield frame where the angle iron will be flushed with the frame. do not cut a bigger hole than whats necessary. the trick is to get the sheet metal as close as possible to the angle iron so that the angle iron will take most of the heat during welding to prevent burning thru the sheet metal. place the angle iron on a vice and weld the nut behind it. position the angle iron to the hinge and install the new bolts loose. position the windshield and frame as close as possible to where it's supposed to be. avoid tweaking the frame or you will end up with a shattered or cracked windshield.with everything in place, spot weld the angle iron on the windshield frame as many area as possible. remove the bolts and windshield frame and finish welding the rest on the bench.. I have done this on my Jeep windshield frame and it made it more sturdier for my custom light bar..

I was in the exact situation as you! My CJ7 had all the stainless and chrome stuff and bumperettes (gross). I don't really know what that frame looks like, but I would probably do what Mikey said, or just buy a new frame.
Kinda funny about the bolts, though. I did everything you did for a stubborn windshield bolt. I even snapped an EZ-Out and slipped with a drill and gouged my frame. Needless to say, I was ticked.

Thanks for the quick responses and the notion that I am not alone with stubborn rusted bolts holding "pretty Chrome" parts on my otherwise fine machine. I found a rattle can of primer for all the places the drill/grinder/Dremel have slipped where they shouldn't have. I'll have more primer than Jeep before it is said and done. I was able to get seven of the eight bolts back on because my welding skills only go back to high school arc welding (20 years ago...where has the time gone?). Plasma cutters were still in their infancy back then.

Next up is a transfer case rebuild as soon as the weather breaks. I am tired of looking at it in my back yard and I can't wait to drive the darn thing!

THanks guys!!!

I would have just left all the chrome there and either spent my money on something usefull and or, painted the chrome another color... Like pink

:QUOTE=jps4jeep;194655]I would have just left all the chrome there and either spent my money on something usefull and or, painted the chrome another color... Like pink[/QUOTE]

:funny::funny:

Mine were all gooed up with thread locker material. Some eventually came out some had to be drilled out. I replaced them all with new, after chasing all the treads with a tap.

I had orange and yellow stuff on the bolts too, was that thread locker?

Pink? Oh boy!

T.

Back