Winter in a Jeep

My Jeep is usually toasty inside in the winter. It has the stock heater, but with the natural insulator of having a fiberglass tub, and a hot running V8, I hardly end up with a heat shortage. :D

Soft top or no soft top, your jeep will be just as cold as the car parked next to yours after being left out all night.
All the hard top does is keep the hot air in longer, but so many people were worried about this DC made the heaters in jeeps crank so much that you dont need to worry about trapping the heat in.
The only thing I worry about in the winter is getting stuck somewhere and having a softtop (I believe Bon Scott (AC/DC) died that way), so I make sure to bring plenty of blankets and those little heat packs when I travel in the winter.
Also with a soft top you may have to go out and brush off your car regularly during a heavy snow storm. But it is fun to drive to work and just bang on the top and watch the snow fly.
The one thing I do hate is that they dont make those remote starters for manual transmission's.

I was on the highway headed to buffalo with some friends last winter during a terrible storm, 4x4 all the way... my back window never did zip at all... so i always had 2 large snow dispensers in the back.... well, there was one girl in the back, and she said "snitty, is there supposed to be snow flying in here?".. i replied with a "yes, my top is a little messed up."... but i did notice that it was a little windier than it usually is... i flipped on my dome light, looked back... she was on the driver side curled up freezing... and i looked over to the passenger side, and it just so happened that the side window had come untucked from the body channel, and was flapped open.... I guess I was driving for about 30 miles with my top partway off... i stopped and fixed it, it warmed up nice and quick... then we all know i couldn't break murphy's law... the storm seemed to clear up right then

Factory soft top: My thermostat was stuck open all last winter, and we had one hell of a winter! It got a little chilly a couple of times, and the ice buildup on the wipers was a real bummer, but I was so damned happy I finally got a Jeep and was plowing through that blizzard it was all worth it! I replaced the thermostat in April and am looking forward to a little warmth and the ability to see out of my windsheild this winter!

As for a hard top, I think it would be nice for the fact that they can be much more quiet (if you got a good seal)!

LOL, yeah we don't get alot of the white stuff around here either. This is my back yard during last years big storm. The pooch didn't quite know what to make of it.

image-missing.png

i actually like the winter... i like the difference in seasons up here... it also makes for a more enjoyable time in the summer... "do it while you can"

I'm with you Snityy. The different seasons are a nice change. It gets kind of boring being in the cold or heat ALL the time.
Mike

Fall and Winter are my favorite seasons, and I work outside! the occasional Ice storm would be the only thing I hate about it, although it does look really cool and I usually end up making boo-coo $$$ repairing downed lines! Change is good, and there's nothing like a good snowball fight with the kids, or having a Jeep to tromp around in it!

No thanks, I will stick to my Warn Winters and HOOOTT!!!! Summers. the most Snow I have ever seen was about 2" and that didn't stick more than 3 days. LOL I LOVE GA. Go Muddin Year round.

i can't stand sweating... and being a hairy man like me, i sweat while naked in the dead of winter... so i like when its cold... plus, the plow helps me make some money when that white cover falls

Windshield washer bottle

I made it through a Montana winter last year with my 92 soft top but when it gets REALLY cold you could have icicles coming out your nose before you get home. I have a 30 mile commute to work each way and I would go out and crank it up 15 or so minutes before and it was reasonably warm when I got in it. But as soon as I start moving down the road the draft sucks all the warm air out, so if you want my advice, if it gets really cold where youre at... get the hard top.

1991 Cherokee looking for new home

I've got a '93 YJ and the heat is awsome! Rarely, in a blue moon, do I get a complaint about the back seat not being as warm as the front.... but a 12v heater from Quadratec will hit the spot :wink:

Oh, by the by.... I'm ditching the sub box from the back and wanted to mount the speakers under the front seats. The only way that I can see mounting the 10" beasts is breaking out the erector set and fabricating. Anyone have a better idea..... I'd love to hear it! :D

Even if you could cram 'em under the seat you wouldn't be able to have an enclosure with enough air space to make them hit. Though I guess it is concievable to mount them under the back seat, though you'd have to raise the seat and the box wouldn't be even close to an ideal shape. With 1.5 CF enclosure per spkr and probable speaker depth of 5.5" youd need a box with an ID approx 3' front to back X 6' tall X 2.0' side to side to get the 3'... though after that your back seat passengers would have to lay down if the top was on :wink:

i had an 88 wrangler last winter and my heat worked just fine, we had 2 bad snow storms this past winter and through both of them my wrangler was nice and toasty, my friends and i would go out at like 1-2am and go "snow wheeling" before they plowed the roads and my wrangler felt like it got warmer than my friends 4x4's, i not have a cherokee so this winter i'll be a lil better off heat wise

Greywolf said:
Hmmmm here's one too. J.C. Whitney used to offer (doubt if they still do, but someone might be able to fabricate one) a "quilted" type liner that went under the soft top on the CJ's. Buddy of mine had one some years ago and it was a great help.

Later,

Greywolf

While surfing for soft tops I noticed that www.CaliforniaTops.com sells quilted liners similar to what you were talking about.

Back