Wrangler reliabilty

belbo

4.0L head swap

I have to buy a 4x4. tired of getting stuck in my wife's car everytime we go skiing. I have been tld wranglers are really the best in getting up roads and snowy areas. I am concerned about the reliability however. My best friend owned a 95 wrangler and teh transmission had to be rebuilt 3 times in the first 75K miles. It was all done at the jeep dealership too. The A/C never really worked, the emision system fell out. stuff went wrong all the time. Are the new generation of Wranglers more reliable? I do not wanna be rebuilding transmissions and doing major work on it. I plan on buying a good used one so are there any models I should avoid?

ive got a 95 and have had to rebuild the transmission once but im up to 103k miles- other than that and the clutch and radiator (thats from muddin), i havent had any problems other than that - my a/c worked great until it started stripping my belt :( but i had to replace the belt to bypass the air conditioner - but using the a/c with the four banger sucks up the horses.
air conditioning + four banger = three banger

Back in high school I had an 89 Wrangler 6 cyl that I got with 3k miles on it (stolen/recovered) that could never pass emissions at inspection. Could never get the carburator working right. It was a huge pain in the ass..little things made me crazy, I push in the lighter and the dash shorted. The bolt holding the door on broke and the door never fit right again. The list goes on and on

THAT being said.. I loved every minute of it, most fun I ever had with a vehicle...but when my parents forced me to sell it (well, because they floated all the bills) I was heartbroken. I ened up with like a honda civic...don't get me wrong I loved the honda too. Lasted me 6 years, 140k miles, with little more than oil changes and a clutch and was still able to sell that after college for 5k.

So, after years of remembering all the fun I had with my jeep for those brief 6 months, last summer, now in my 30s, went out and bought a nice used Wrangler and now I have the money to do all the things I always wanted to...lift/tires/wheels etc. It's a blast. Granted some little things still go wrong but I don't care, because now I fix them myself, pay for it myself and I still have that Honda in the driveway as my primary driver.

It sounds like your buddy got a lemon there, or he really beats on his transmission, or the stealership doesn't know how to rebuild a transmission! When I bought mine (91) a year ago, the previous owner told me that the transmission was rebuilt once and it had a new radiator put in. Other than that the only major work (besides lifting and axle swap) that it needs is a rear main seal... but it also has over 200,000 miles on it... not too shabby!
I say buy one, you will love it. Why do you think we are all here talkin about jeeps? :D

I dont know how new you are looking to get. But I had a 00 TJ and I didnt have to do anything beside change the oil in the first 4 years of owning it. My 89 YJ wasnt too bad either. I had to do my first major repair ($500) when a head gasket went. But that was at 160,000 miles. I would definitely recommend wranglers. There are always lemons out there, but my experiences have been good.[/code]

Ok guys, I'm gonna buy one. I was wondering if the newer (TJ) is a more reliable version than teh YJ was? I assumed it has to be but do any particular year's models have more problems than others? just thought I would ask. I'll probably end up with either a 98, 99, 00 or 01. Do they use a transmission from Chrysler? My mom's dodge van's transmission went out at 120,000. she bought another and it went out at 110,000. In cmparison, my 89 honda accord has 283,000 on original engine and transmission. My 72 Blazer has 172,000 hard miles on original engine and transmission.

I won't be doing any heavy duty offroad trails and I dont want to get into changing axles and all that. It will end up being lifted about 4 inches with larger tires because they look so much better that way. I just wanted to see if the latest model was more reliable and if there were any year's to avoid.

Reliability has to do with you and how you take care of your ride. If you dog it and don't follow the maintenance sched, it's going to break. If you lightfoot it and take care to change all fluids on a regularly schedualed basis then you will be fine. That is any car not just a Wrangler.

Well, since you're asking for opinions... I'd stay away from the 97 & 98 model years. You should be able to find a nice 2000 4.0L for around $10k with under 60k miles. Be sure to get the 4.0L and the transmission is up to you, manual or auto. Both can be argued. I hate to steer you away from the short wheel base Jeep, but if you're not gonna be wheeling it, maybe you should look into a Grand Cherokee or even the XJ cherokee. The XJ's last model year was 2001 and they are very reliable vehicles.

$.02
C

Why should one stay away from the 98s? I had heard about avoiding the 97s before buying...
(seeing as how I bought a 98 last summer)

Belbo, A Jeep is a Jeep is a Jeep! buying a Jeep is one of the greatest love hate relationships you will ever have. Don't want to kick any Bee's Nest around here but there are a few things that most just do not want to talk about when it comes to owning a Jeep.

Yes they are a great off road and bad weather condition ride. You will get pretty much any where you wnat to go in a Jeep but you have to know how to drive first. A bad small stocker Jeep will go places a Monster lifted big stupid tired Jeep can not depending on the drivers.

Are they going to break? All automotive type stuff breaks! The Jeep due to the nature of its use is going to break more than many other ride choices. However the Jeep is not to hard to work on and you can save a ton a money by not letting the dealers ever do any thing to you beloved Jeep!

As far as trouble shooting and repairs to a Jeep the best place to go is here at Jeepz.com! Just post what it is or is not doing and someone here has had the same problem at some point. Some one knows a way to repair or replace the problem unit with an upgrade.

Now here comes the bee's nest part (this is tug kicking the nest) If you are going to buy a Jeep Wrangler or CJ go for the simplest Jeep you can find! Auto transmissions and A/C and all the soft parts that have been placed on a Jeep over the past few years are just not Jeepliticaly Correct! In my humble oppion! If you want a soft plush ride buy one if you want a jeep get a bare bones kick a little tail rough and ready JEEP!

They are suppost to ride rougher than a car and be drafty and have a few dents and dings in em! You are suppost to freeze a little in the winter time and roast in the summer a little. (maintaining a smile at all times is required, and ez to do) Any time something breaks you never just fix it you mod it into a better that new version so it does not do it again or at least from the same stress or pressure.

So in a nut shell A Jeep is a Jeep is a Jeep. It will never be a car, truck, SUV, or any thing else. Chrome and shinny paint and stereos and dvds and even bling bling wheels do not make it any thing other than a Jeep. You will have work on it and stuff will break. but you never had a more fun to fix, drive, and break ride in your life. Often Imitated but never duplicated it is nothing more than a Jeep.

So If you wish to know more about a Jeep just buy one and drive it a year. You can all most always get your money out of it and it can be your jeep. Your jeep cause as soon as you buy it you will start the process of maken it your. EZ to modifie and the process never ends after that.

I could pick my favorite jeep modle and start in to changing it. Do everything I could think of prior to driven it and with in a week after the dream machine was done I would be looking to change something.

Good luck potential Jeeper! Good look if you do or if you do not buy the jeep. Cause if you do you will regreat the day you made the down payment for the rest of your life. If you do not you will never be happy till you do. You have been bitten and there is not a cure known to man.

Last and not least you are going to get a family with your jeep should you get one. A brother hood of jeeper not leaven the lady jeepers out just a figure of speach. Many of my best jeep brothers are jeep ladys! ok! but you are required to wave at all jeeps as you pass on the road. You are required to speak to all jeepers you meet in the stores. You are requiresd to park beside or at least near all jeeps visiting the same places you visit.

So beware all that buy a Jeep it more than just a way to go to the slopes! tug

Ditto to the Tug! Just one tidbit from a follow jeeper. If your gonna run around town once in a while and go skiing then maybe an inexpensive CJ7 may do. Later 1986 came with choice of auto 999 or standard and a Dana 44 rear, easy to work on. If it's amenities you crave then buy the newest TJ you can afford, I think aircon is standard.

Well Belbo your in trouble now...
I own a 2001 TJ and have had no major problems with her.
I have had one sensor go out and my warrenty paid for them to come out and pick her up with an over night stay at the stealership.
I am a plush type of person here and am highly ignored by these brutish, rugged type of Jeepsters you know the type no A/C...who cares about the heat, windows, floor mats.. kinda like that Tug guy who wrote ya.
Got ya Tug :lol:
Yes Air Conditioning is a must! Say yes to an Automatic transmission as well. The TJ series is a smooth riding beast that will get you up and down the mountain with little to no problems.
As with any type of vehicles you will find lemons out there, if your looking for a used one take a careful look at the frame and suspention for abuse.
If your looking for a new one then a hard top is a must (ski racks are the cheapest for the hard tops).
But be aware...once you buy one you will regret it! Owning a jeep is a diffrent way in life. It's not an SUV... its an Jeep, the original off-road vehicle.
Your fellow jeep owners will wave at you ( please explain to wife early on or get a real good lawer here).
A little lift here...bigger tires.. eww fender flares... a winch... the list goes on and on and on...( Jeep= Just empty every pocket)
Just ask any one here we already know!
But not buying one! you will kick yourself every day for not buying one.
My TJ makes the trip up to Park City and Brighton Ski resorts twice a month and it always looks good sitting in the parking lot.

I am a plush type of person here and am highly ignored by these brutish, rugged type of Jeepsters you know the type no A/C...who cares about the heat, windows, floor mats.. kinda like that Tug guy who wrote ya.
Got ya Tug :lol:

I knew there would be bee's heheheeh Plush kinda guy! jeeeeeze tug :lol:

Tug-n-pull said:
I knew there would be bee's heheheeh Plush kinda guy! jeeeeeze tug :lol:

Just admit it Tug... one ride in Rob's TJ and you were wanting one.
Off-road in comfort! Say yes to A/C!

Ive got a 97 and the only problem i have with it is the temperature control slider. The cable always slips of the slider itself and i have to reach up under the dash to change the temp. Probably an easy way to fix it, but its been to cold and ive been to lazy!!

Nathan

Hey Green97TJ , I've noticed my temp selector cable will sort of slip at times too... must be a 97 TJ thing :roll:

As for this post: I think all cars will have problems, period. If you learn how to fix them yourself, it becomes a fun new hobby (or full time job :p). Plus you'll come spend hours on Jeepz.com :mrgreen:

As for the comment about '97 TJs. I own one (for about 6 months now), and haven't noticed any major problems that weren't caused by the former owner :roll:

-Nick :!:

Back